Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access BitBucket erver database with new installation

R_Hilton July 26, 2019

I have Bitbucket server running on VMWare Windows Server 2012 R2. The VM is unable to start.

The database Bitbucket Server is using is on a different host and the database is accessible using MS SQL Manager.  

How can I reinstall Bitbucket server on a new host and access the existing Bitbucket database.

2 comments

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2019

Hi,

Bitbucket Server not only needs access to the database, but also its home directory, which is typically on the local machine where Bitbucket Server is installed - do you have access to that? If not, you're unfortunately out of luck.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

R_Hilton July 27, 2019

The VM that the Bitbucket server was running on will not start at all so I don't have access to the directory Bitbucket server was installed on.

However I do have a backup of the virtual machine which is an older copy of what was running on the virtual machine the crashed.

The only other possibility is to try and use Veem to access the original data.

does the data have to be the most current? or will an old copy of the data work?

Regards,

Rod

Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2019

Hi Rod,

Unless you have a Bitbucket Data Center license (which includes the Integrity Checker functionality), I'm afraid the home directory and the database must be backed up at the same time because otherwise the data will be out of sync.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

R_Hilton July 31, 2019

I found a way to restore the original Virtual Machine the Bitbucket server was running on. 

Once I was able to the VM running on new hardware the issue was resolved.

Rod.

R_Hilton July 31, 2019

The fact that I was able to move the VM Bitbucket server was running on to a system that had the correct resources on it, allowed me to pickup from the point the VM failed.

This allowed me to continue with no impact on the Bitbucket server and the repos on my client computer.

At the end of the day I got lucky. Going forward I need to have a "standby" VM that I can start when the primary fails. (along with backing up the database of course.

Rod

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events