What to do with your Mercurial repos when Bitbucket sunsets support

526 comments

veg July 23, 2020

Glad that my repos are still working (in read only mode). Still can't find enough time to move all my pet projects to other place =(

@kalthadany news about support of conversion Mercurial branches to Git branches by default in the hg-git? Is there any discussion about it? I would like to use this feature as soon as it is released =)

barseghyanartur July 23, 2020

@veg 

I had big success importing all of my Mercurial repositories to GitHub. Most of them I imported as private repositories.

kalthad July 23, 2020

veg 

Hi 

sorry, forget to tell you Manuel Jacob answered me indeed, it so happens that he is now one of th

hg-git maintainers.

However, he says that his patch needs to be checked, and all the persons able to do it, are

very very busy. Besides there seems to be a list of unsolved pressing bugs,

for example no hook runs when you push or pull, so 

you cannot have any statistical analysis 

So there is unfortunately no definite answer

BTW Manuel's patch also supports topics

ronoaldo August 19, 2020

Hi, I was using my repos up until past week (checkout only) but now I can't even clone them anymore. Any chance I can have a download of the repo as .zip? Filled a support ticket.

mnpenner August 19, 2020

I just want access to the Issues back... I thought they'd kill the repos, but why'd they have to lock me out of the entire project? Ridiculous.

ronoaldo August 19, 2020

Yep... Just an archived version of the source code would be helpful to me at this point, but everything is gone, wiki, issues all... Odd!

CharlieC August 20, 2020

While I'm still furious with Atlassian for dropping Mercurial support and was not impressed with the way they handled it, they did make it clear that the repositories, including associated tools, would completeley removed. It was always possible to make copies and download the relevant data, so I don't think it's fair for you blaming Atlassian if you didn't do this.

fhgd August 20, 2020

@ronoaldo@mnpenner According to the announcement from Octobus you should find a complete backup of your bitbucket projects at https://bitbucket-archive.softwareheritage.org/ 

ronoaldo August 20, 2020

@CharlieC I agree it was widelly advised but honestly it wasn't clear to me that the data would become unavailable. Specially when the linked docs state clearly that "the repositories will be made read-only". But I agree there were plenty of time since they began the advisory to move away. Offering an archived version would be decent anyway, specially for items like small codebases like the ones I have.

@fhgd thanks for that pointer, I'll be able to download most of my data. Thanks for this pointer.

mcdemarco August 20, 2020

To be fair to @ronoaldo, the BitBucket UI itself has been very conflicted about what is going on since the nominal shutdown date.  The repositories lingered in a semi-editable state for a month or so, with an intermittent read-only message on them.  Even now, all my deleted mercurial repositories are listed in my repository list, and if I click on them from there I just get a spinner.  Only if I navigate directly to the same url (the src/ one) do I get a message about the repository and all Mercurial support being gone.

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
a4z August 21, 2020

that they can not even clean up the dashboard GUI is just one more sign for the downfall of Atlassian. Obviously all developers have left the building and only accountants and managers are running this place now.

Seriously, Atlassian is legacy in the worst meaning of the word, as developer you can only avoid their products as much as possible. Nothing useful new in the latest years and ways behind competitors in every aspect. The only reason they are not totally dead is the high vendor lock in effect of system like jira and confluence, from which you can not so easy migrate away once you use them.

paul_boddie August 21, 2020

People have to be sensible about keeping their options open, rather than cultivating a total dependency on one vendor providing their services. But I imagine that some people will find themselves in the same situation - with GitHub, maybe - some time in the future.

For Confluence, the basic content management aspects can be replicated using other solutions. I wrote a converter for the textual markup and for the XML-based content representation that allowed one Free Software project to migrate their site to MoinMoin. There were probably Confluence sites that experienced more severe problems when the textual markup was retired than we experienced converting that markup to another kind of markup entirely.

Naturally, people expecting the red carpet treatment will probably be disappointed by the no-cost tools available for migrating to other solutions. Such people need to be prepared to invest time and even money in those tools to get an acceptable result. And where they have used extra features, plugins, and so on, they will definitely need to invest in tool and platform development to reproduce the things they like and depend on in things like Confluence.

Generally, you don't tend to get something for nothing. Or more accurately, you don't tend to get exactly what you want for nothing. But that is sadly what many people expect these days.

marmoute August 24, 2020

@ronoaldoWe (Software Heritage and Octobus) ran a full archives of the repository.

You can most probably find your repository there.

Like # people like this
MarcG September 3, 2020

Thanks @marmoute and team, for providing such great service to the community!

Now, would it maybe be possible for Atlassian to put that link into the info page of all the deleted repositories? I mean, these guys go through all this trouble and work to do what is clearly Atlassians responsibility, and then you cannot even be bothered to put a simple link there.

Ah, but that would mean, that Atlassian actually cared about their customers and the community, something which they have shown repeatedly that they have no interest in whatsoever. Why anyone would even touch any of Atlassians products nowadays with however long a stick is completely beyond me.

MarcG September 3, 2020

Ah, and in the mean time, they broke the info page as well. Now all it says is: 

That link has no power here

dananau September 3, 2020

I never received *any* notification that Mercurial repositories were going away, until today when a user of my repository informed me that it had vanished. How do I recover its contents?

UPDATE: never mind. I just read the above post from @marmoute and found my repository on the Mercurial Bitbucket Archive.

___ __prosody Vereable Context_ __ _ September 16, 2020

https://bitbucket-archive.softwareheritage.org/projects/pa/painingattention/realityl.html (https://bitbucket.org/painingattention/realityl worth 101 kilobytes) copy is not saved apparently. (Nor https://bitbucket-archive.softwareheritage.org/projects/pa/painingattention/stzuck.html either.  Also, BB Hg Snippets are all not archived. Somehow my 1gb https://bitbucket-archive.softwareheritage.org/projects/pa/painingattention/-.html got saved correctly, what kind of web crawler are they on?)

Why is softwareheritage.org required to do an archeological dig instead of "hg clone bitbucket.org"? There is still time before some nobody is told to press a delete key of all User data *before* we can go to court.

marmoute September 17, 2020

@___ __prosody Vereable Context_ __ _can you file a bug about the two repositories you have issue with ? https://heptapod.host/octobus/boatbucket/-/issues

gutovysk October 25, 2020

Hey Atlassian!!!

Did you deleted my private archives/projects from Hg repositories????

You don't said that before! You said: "users will not be able to use Mercurial features. All hg repos, wikis, and snippets will be in read-only mode."

You said: "will be in read-only mode!" But I didn't find any of my private repos with Hg!!!! Your communications was worst and wrong, because I thought that my repos still there when I'll decided what to do! Your are responsible for this!

What to do now? I need some archives/projects now.

jmls October 29, 2020

so, as luck has it, a customer has asked me to modify some code on a project I long thought dead. I can;t find it, so suspect that it's one of the mercurial repos

what are my options here ?  BB said that all hg repos will be inaccessible - does that mean destroyed ? 

Ruslan Berezyuk October 29, 2020

You can try to contact support, but I think they are just gone...

I saw this to come. People have better things to do, nobody lives looking if someone is going to delete their code ... especially if the code is safely stored in the cloud repo. This why we have cloud repos, right? My laptop can be stolen, broken, lost, etc. As I don't want to lose my data, I push my code to the cloud, right? Well, no! They can delete your code with less than 1-year advice ...

Right now they are discontinuing their server Jira and Confluence products, but they are giving a 3-year notice, and ever after that, you still can use the products ... ya no support, but at least can access your data 

well, good luck contacting BB support, I hope you can recover your code 

MarcG November 1, 2020

If you look for your repo, why don't you use the archive that the fine people from Octobus created, before Atlassian destroyed everything?

As for Atlassian, they don't care what you write here. They deleted your repositories on purpose, you know...

shaynen May 11, 2021

Well sh**. Just found out about this aaaaaaaaaand they've deleted all my stuff.

Unbelievable vandalism/

cbillington May 11, 2021

@shaynen public repos were archived by Software Heritage, you might check here if your repos were public:

https://bitbucket-archive.softwareheritage.org/

shaynen September 21, 2021

It was private, we managed to find a backup.

We moved everything else off, jira, confluence too. Too much risk, Atlassian cant be trusted as safe guardians of our data anymore. Same with our customers. Nothing personal against Atlassian, but they chose this, not us, when they decided our data wasn't important enough to keep around. Simple risk judgement.

Between this and Googles constant deleting of client data whent they shut down services, I think its high time folks considered ending this cloud experiment.

Like Eric Green likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events