Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to use a separate pipeline for my Fork?

Phillip Demro September 1, 2020

I have forked a project which contains a bitbucket-pipelines.yml file.

I would like to create my own separate pipeline for this project (and also be able to issue pull requests)

Is there a way to have a separate bitbucket-pipelines.yml exclusive to my fork?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Phillip Demro September 11, 2020

Per @ktomk the TL;DR answer is no, this isn't possible

1 vote
Answer accepted
ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2020

First of all the bitbucket-pipelines.yml file is always exclusive to your fork.

Do you want to issue pull requests with or without your own separate pipeline?

If you want to issue pull requests with your own separate pipeline, (re-) define the pull-request pipeline in your fork.

If you want to issue pull requests without your own separate pipeline, do not (re-) define the pull-request pipeline in your fork.

If you don't want to populate your bitbucket-pipelines.yml changes back to the upstream project you forked from, do not file any of the file changes when you create a pull-request upstream.

Phillip Demro September 11, 2020

Thanks for the answer @ktomk!  GitHub and Azure Devops both offer the capabilities to have multiple pipelines per project with different triggers.  It is unfortunate that BitBucket makes this so restrictive, but I guess this is the only answer.  Thanks again.

ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2020

@Phillip Demro Yes, but keep in mind it's in the eye of the beholder. What is the ones restriction is another persons possibility. In short it was not entirely clear to me from your question what you're looking for specifically. E.g. as you're concerned about a fork if I got that right, it is technically another project.

And then yes again: Bitbucket feels weak at forks + pull requests upstream to me, too.

However take any limitation with a grain of salt: they can turn out things to the better. Just saying.

(btw. didn't know it's possible to accept two answers, fair point)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events