Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to increase the memory limit assigned for the build environment?

basdado November 22, 2019

According to the documentation:

• The build container is given 1024 MB of the total memory, which covers your build process and some Pipelines overheads (agent container, logging, etc).

However, for the build I'm running, I seem to be hitting this limit:

2019-11-22 14_35_52-Window.png

The step should have a total of 4096MB of memory available for build + services. Is it possible to increase the memory limit for the "Build" container to e.g. 2096MB?

I know that the "size: 2x" option exists, but it seems that if the extra 3GB is available for the step anyway, why shouldn't I be able to use it for the build container?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2020

Hello,

If you don't run any services and don't enable the 2x option, the build container has 4 GB of memory available.
If you have services running, then the build container gets 4 GB minus the memory used by the services.

I believe that the sentence you quoted from the documentation may be referring to the minimum amount of memory required for the build container. I have reached out to the documentation team to clarify this specific part of the doc.

If you run into the "Container 'Build' exceeded memory limit" error, then I would suggest:
* in case you use services, limit the memory used by services (there are examples in the doc that you linked)
* enforce the max size of memory used in your build to be under the available memory
* use the 2x option

Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,
Theodora

basdado August 11, 2020

Is there any way to see how much memory the build container used?

I had no other services active, so the build container should have had at least the 4GB. I worked around it by enabling the 2x option for now, but I am wondering how much memory the build was actually using.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2020

Hi,

You can add the following commands at the very beginning of the script in the bitbucket-pipelines.yml file:

- while true; do date && ps -aux && sleep 15 && echo ""; done &
- while true; do echo "Memory usage in megabytes:" && echo $((`cat /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.memsw.usage_in_bytes | awk '{print $1}'`/1048576)); sleep 60; done &

These commands will show memory usage (also per process) in the Build log when you run a build, this way you can see which processes need most of the memory.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events