• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to update my current container version of pipe command?

I'm using Bitbucket Pipeline's pipe command to transfer files to S3 bucket using atlassian/aws-s3-deploy:0.3.5. I'm considering how to update my current container v0.3.5 as I fear it will stop working one day if I keep it fixed.

1. Is it right that instead of specifying a fixed version of the container with pipe command, you can't specify that it should always call the latest version of the container, e.g. "latest"?
I tried "- pipe: atlassian/aws-s3-deploy:latest" and got the following error message.

It looks like you tried to use a pipe in your bitbucket-pipelines.yml that doesn’t exist. Check the name of the pipe and try again.

2. Is it possible that an existing version of the atlassian/s3-deploy container will suddenly stop working with pipe due to an increase in required parameters, etc?

3. What are the changes in upgrading atlassian/aws-s3-deploy from current v0.3.5 to latest v0.4.5? (Increased processing speed, fatal bugs in older versions will be fixed, etc.)

1 answer

0 votes

Hi @naoko rikiyama ,

Thank you for your question!

It's a good practice to update the pipe's version to the newest one periodically. New versions of the pipe could have updates, improvements, new features, or bug-fix.

All changes to the pipe are stored in the pipe's changelog. We follow the versioning rules provided by semantic versioning spec. 

The semantic versioning spec involves several possible variations, but to simplify, in Semversioner, we are using the three-part version number:

<major>.<minor>.<patch>

Constructed with the following guidelines:

• Breaking backward compatibility or major features bumps the major (and resets the minor and patch).
  • New additions without breaking backward compatibility bump the minor (and resets the patch).
  • Bug fixes and misc changes bump the patch.

1. Yes, it's best practice to use the fixed version of the dependencies and periodically update it.
  2. No. Pipe's versions are immutable. All changes to the pipe released with a new version. That's why it's better to update to the newest one.
  3. Please follow the link to the pipe's changelog, where you could find all information about updates.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

752 views 12 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you