Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent custom variable to be shown in the logs

jonathan_ghellere June 24, 2021

Hello Everyone,

Bitbucket pipelines give us the opportunity to create custom pipelines, in these we  create some variables that will receive values entered manually by the user.

pipelines: 
custom:
create_value:
-
variables:
- name: SECRET_VALUE
-
step:
script:
-
echo ok

This is cool. You can create a custom step that will be triggered by the user (via Run Pipeline button)and the value for the var SECRET_VALUE will then be provided by the user.

But there's a catch, the value of the variable will be printed in the logs:

Pipeline Variables:    
SECRET_VALUE: my_secret_word

There's any way to avoid this? I mean, to suppress the variable to be printed.

ps. The values will always vary, so the "secured variables" in the "repository variables" is out of topic here.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2021

Hi Jonathan,

I'm afraid that it is not possible to hide the value of custom pipeline variables at the moment.

We have a feature request about this in our issue tracker:

If you'd be interested in this, I would suggest that you add your vote in the feature request (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps the development team and product managers better understand the demand for new features. You are more than welcome to leave any feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Implementation of new features is done as per our policy here and any updates will be posted in the feature request.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events