Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i find out how many times my bitbucket pipe has been used by other people?

Mark Harrison June 25, 2020

Is there any way to find out how many times a bitbucket pipe I have authored has been used?

I can't reliably use download stats from docker hub since it looks like it downloads the image multiple times in a single pipeline run (where the pipe is referenced in multiple steps)

TIA,

Mark

1 answer

0 votes
ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2020

Have you tried asking users of your pipe to provide more exact usage data?

It's a publicly available pipe so I'm not sure how I'd know which users are using it (hence my original question)?

ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2020

Well, if you publicize, the read-me is normally the place to offer a human contact point.

Apart from those people who are unwilling to provide the information I would not care but just consider these are some systems pulling an image. Maybe that's a bit dull and robotic.

About which pipe are we writing here?

I'm looking for a more measured / accurate way of determining a pipe adoption to determine it's value in adding any more features to it, preferably from bitbucket itself as I imagine there would be some stats on how many pipelines use particular pipes. Hoping users would contact an author doesn't feel like it would be an accurate measure of adoption.

ktomk
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2020

Accurate without user interaction about the user itself? You might be looking for just capturing all data. Contact a lawyer on your behalf before you do that, technically within a pipelines pipe just copy the environment on each use to a system of your behalf and then run any metrics on it you see fit on the aggregate.

That is the maximum of data that bitbucket pipelines provides at time of pipe usage.

Your users might hate you for that, you might be sued for it even (by individual user and/or  the vendor and other third parties, some of them even because they need to one day), but this is merely your decision and risk management, I can't nor want help you with that.

The other alternative is that you don't publish a public image but require your users to identify before use and only give access to the image when that is done. This is also possible with the atlassian bitbucket pipelines plugin and most like more fair to your users.

Between these both options I run out of ideas what is doable as well. Maybe you have some more ideas.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events