Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I update tags/environment variables when deploying to elastic beanstalk?

bradyyuan August 30, 2019

when I deploy an application to AWS Elastic Beanstalk using

- pipe: atlassian/aws-elasticbeanstalk-deploy:0.3.1

Is there a way to also update/create tags during the deployment?

Per instruction https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/aws-elasticbeanstalk-deploy/src/master/?_ga=2.97077018.484581210.1567198152-2124905824.1543250574, I don't see a variable for tags.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Raul Gomis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2019

Hi @bradyyuan ,

Thanks for reaching out! What is exactly your use case? What information would you be interested in adding? 

Regards,  

Raul

bradyyuan September 7, 2019

Hi Raul,

As we know, AWS elastic beanstalk is able to config environment variables for each service

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Is there a way to update (add/modify) the variables using :

- pipe: atlassian/aws-elasticbeanstalk-deploy:0.3.1

during the deployment?

My application consumes those variables.  The environment variables contain sensitive information, such as access keys, secret keys, credentials and etc,.  Currently I manually update those values on Elastic Beanstalk.  It would be better that the bitbucket deployment script can update the Elastic Beanstalk environment variables automatically, so that I can define those secured values as the bitbucket repository variables or deployment variables.  As we know, the bitbucket pipeline can pick up the repository/deployment variables without any problem, but atlassian/aws-elasticbeanstalk-deploy:0.3.1 doesn't provide a way to update the Elastic Beanstalk environment variables.

Thanks

Mu

Raul Gomis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2019

Hi @bradyyuan ,

Thanks for the explanation. What is the exact use case you are trying to achieve? What type of information you pass to Elastic Beanstalk as environment variables? 

Also, is that something you need to want to configure / override dynamically and pass it on every pipe / pipeline execution? or is something you can configure once?

Don't know exactly all the details, but as setting up the environment is part of the infrastructure provisioning, I would use the aws-cloudformation-deploy pipe to setup and configure the Elastic Beanstalk Application and Environment (included environment variables). And then, I would use the aws-elasticbeanstalk-deploy pipe to perform just the deployment.

That would give you a full Infrastructure As a Code (IaC), in which your infrastructure definition would be defined as code. 

Regards, 

Raul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events