Deployment variables and react-scripts build conundrum

Karel Frajtak January 11, 2021

I am trying to setup a pipeline to build a React application (created using react-scripts) and deploy it to a remote server with its specific environment variables. Those variables are defined in deployment setting.

The problem is that I need the variable before the deployment so I can create a .env.local file (that overrides the default .env file) used in the npm run build stage.

When I mention the deployment: Staging in both build steps I get an error saying

Environment name and order needs to defined in your deployment setting.

And if I remove it from the deployment stage and add it to the build stage, than the build stage gets and "Redeploy" button ...

How can I access the deployment environment variables in the build stage so the React app can be built with the environment variables specific to deployment machine?

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2021

Hi Karel,

Deployment variables can only be accessed by the step that does the deployment and I'm afraid that it is not possible to use the same deployment environment for multiple steps.

Are you deploying to different servers and do you use multiple deployment environments in your yaml file for this repo? Or only one?

I am trying to understand your use case to see if there is a different way to achieve what you want.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events