Can you share a docker service between steps?

Mark McLaren July 24, 2019

Imagine I had a pipeline where step 1 created a Docker image and step 2 deployed it to a container registry.

I appreciate I could create a Docker image with both Java and Azure CLI installed and use that in one step but I'm interested if I could do it without that.

Without the "caches" sections, it doesn't look like the docker service in the example below keeps the image after the step has completed.

pipelines: 
default:
- step:
image: adoptopenjdk/openjdk11
services:
- docker
# caches:
# - docker
script:
- docker pull docker/whalesay
- docker images
- step:
image: microsoft/azure-cli
services:
- docker
# caches:
# - docker
script:
- docker images

The whalesay image downloaded in step 1 is no longer in docker at the beginning of step 2.

If I add "caches" sections. It does seem to keep the downloaded docker image but the repository and tag details disappear?

"docker images" output from step 1:

REPOSITORY TAG IMAGE ID CREATED SIZE

docker/whalesay latest 6b362a9f73eb 4 years ago 247MB

"docker images" output from step 2:

REPOSITORY TAG IMAGE ID CREATED SIZE

<none> <none> 6b362a9f73eb 4 years ago 247MB

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven Vaccarella
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2019

Hi Mark,

The only way to share information between steps is using caches or artifacts (or an external service like an artifact repository). The recommended way to build and deploy a docker image is to do it all in a single step.

If you don't want to use a single image that includes all the required dependencies then another option is to use a "docker run" command to perform one of the operations. For example you can deploy using a "docker run" command within your script (based on an image that contains the azure cli).

Another option is to use a pipe such as https://bitbucket.org/microsoft/azure-cli-run/src/master/ to perform the deploy (the pipe actually just uses "docker run" under the hood).

0 votes
Xavier Serrat Bordas September 5, 2022

Hi!

I have a pipeline where we're running different docker containers connected to each other using docker-compose.

I'm wondering if we have a way to share the running containers between steps to run some tests in parallel.

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

Xavier.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events