Artifacts and glob pattern - confusion between simple and double asterisk / star

nvsvleclere October 24, 2018

Hi,

I have read the section here but it seems to apply in the "git" context and does not help me. In the artifact contact, if '*' does not match "/", does it mean that 'dist/*' match all files and not directories ? and "dist/**" does match everything files and subfolders ?

So I am confused with simple and double asterisk glob patterns (in particular in artificats context). What are the differences between these examples ?

1)

artifacts:
          - dist/*/folder

2)

artifacts:
          - dist/**/folder

3)

artifacts:
          - dist/*

4)

artifacts:
          - dist/**

Which ones do include hidden files/directories  ?

If I want to "artifact" a folder and all its content, can I just do ? :

artifacts:
          - dist

(Bonus: Is it an "atlassian" glob pattern trick or is it following a standard ? )

Regards,

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Linette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2018

Hi Victor,

I have a basic little example pipeline that might help make things clearer here: https://bitbucket.org/lvoller/testing-things/src/fc5f1e247f835fc81dd73a8151c36207c74d8d4d/bitbucket-pipelines.yml

Essentially though:

• a single asterisk will pick up any files in the folder (including hidden)
  • a double asterisk will pick up both files and directories (including hidden)

You could also use -  dist/*.js to only select .js files as artifacts to pass to the next step.

I hope that helps!

Linette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2018

oh, and in answer to your questions 1) and 2) the difference is how far through the directory structure you'll go.

the first example (dist/*/folder) could find

dist/test/folder

but not

dist/test/reports/folder

Where as dist/**/folder would find

dist/test/reports/folder

as it keeps going beyond the current directory.

Like Fernando Arteaga likes this
nvsvleclere October 29, 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, it's well explained and very helpful.

Regards,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events