AWS ECS deploy with specific tag name

Ashwani Kumar June 21, 2020

Hi, I am able to create and push docker image on ECR with Bitbucket pipeline. And, now  I want to deploy my container using the pipe - AWS ECS deploy - provided by Bitbucket. But I think there should be an option to pass the tag name. Because it would help me in the rollback, in case of wrong deployment. Currently I can only specify tag in the ECS's container definition only.

I looked at your pipe's code and found out that you are already trying to retrieve the IMAGE_NAME, but it is not mentioned in example. It would be great if you can enable that 😉

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Oleksandr Kyrdan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2020

Hi @Ashwani Kumar @TiM 

It's a good case to use envsubst for pre-processing template:

script:
- envsubst < task-definition.tpl.yaml > task-definition.yaml
- cat task-definition.yaml

Here an example how we use envsubst with a template.

Cheers,
Alex

Ashwani Kumar July 8, 2020

Is it fine to replace Fargate task-defination like this? .. AWS specification says that we need to create new task definition. 🤔 ... But sure I will give it a try 😊

Like Oleksandr Kyrdan likes this
0 votes
Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2020

@Ashwani Kumar Yes, you are right, it is not explicitly supported.

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/aws-ecs-deploy/src/dd7bab5f57211073f36a28d268155fb0f0c02ab9/pipe/main.py#lines-117

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/aws-ecs-deploy/src/dd7bab5f57211073f36a28d268155fb0f0c02ab9/test/test.py#lines-185

Actually, you can try to  deploy with IMAGE_NAME variable (like "python:3.7-slim" or something). You could have your pipe definition as:

script:
  - pipe: atlassian/aws-ecs-deploy:1.1.4
    variables:
      AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID: $AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID
      AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY: $AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY
      AWS_DEFAULT_REGION: 'us-east-1'
      CLUSTER_NAME: 'your-ecs-cluster'
      SERVICE_NAME: 'your-ecs-service'
      TASK_DEFINITION: 'task-definition.json'
IMAGE_NAME: nginx

Soon we will update the documentation and schema to officially support this, thanks you for the report!

Regards, Galyna

Ashwani Kumar June 22, 2020

Thanks 🙂

Ashwani Kumar June 22, 2020

@Halyna Berezovska But, it won't work because, in script, the image parameter in `update_task_definition` method, is not getting updated. `image` parameter is just getting passed to it.

Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
June 22, 2020

@Ashwani Kumar yes, I see... Looks like this is a bug or not supported feature. Thanks for reporting, I will let you know once that is enrolled fully

Halyna Berezovska
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2020

As a workaround for now I can see you could put tag right to the  definition like you do and before you can remember this tag as a variable if it is possible. Or you could parse definition json file with jq and get the tag.

Ashwani Kumar June 23, 2020

Thanks @Halyna Berezovska , I was thinking on the same page and changed the tag in AWS task definition JSON, which I copied from my Fargate configuration. But, I am having errors "Unknown parameter in input:", So currently I am trying to solve them. 🙂

If this works, then I will have fully automated CI/CD .

TiM June 30, 2020

any update? this is tragically useless without it :(

Ashwani Kumar June 30, 2020

Hello @TiM , I am still working on that error .. not able to deploy on Fargate. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events