Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Why is my OAuth request from within docker being rejected?

I'm trying to run the Windows runner in a docker container. I've got the following dockerfile:

FROM chocolatey/choco
RUN choco install -y git
RUN choco install -y openjdk
RUN choco install -y dotnet-6.0-sdk
RUN choco install -y azure-cli
ADD https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/bitbucket/pipelines/atlassian-bitbucket-pipelines-runner-1.315.zip bitbucket-pipelines-runner.zip
RUN powershell -Command Expand-Archive bitbucket-pipelines-runner.zip C:\bitbucket-pipelines-runner
COPY start.ps1 /bitbucket-pipelines-runner/bin/start.ps1
ENV BITBUCKET_WORKING_DIRECTORY C:\\bitbucket-pipelines-runner\\temp
ENV BITBUCKET_RUNNER_ENVIRONMENT PRODUCTION
ENV BITBUCKET_INITIAL_DELAY 0
ENV BITBUCKET_UPDATE_PERIOD 30
ENV BITBUCKET_CLEAN_FOLDERS false
WORKDIR C:/bitbucket-pipelines-runner/bin
ENTRYPOINT ["powershell", "./start.ps1"]

The `start.ps1` powershell script has been modified to look for environment variables instead of command line parameters. When I start the container, the runner quickly fails with the message: 

[2022-05-02 12:46:40,152] Runner version: 1.315

[2022-05-02 12:46:40,199] Runner runtime: windows-powershell

[2022-05-02 12:46:42,902] Starting websocket listening to RUNNER_UPDATED events.

[2022-05-02 12:46:43,054] Updating runner status to "ONLINE" and checking for new steps assigned to the runner after 0 seconds and then every 30 seconds.

[2022-05-02 12:46:43,514] Updating runner state to "ONLINE".

[2022-05-02 12:46:45,179] An error occurred whilst updating runner state to "ONLINE".

org.springframework.web.reactive.function.client.WebClientResponseException$BadRequest: 400 Bad Request from POST https://auth.atlassian.com/oauth/token

at org.springframework.web.reactive.function.client.WebClientResponseException.create(WebClientResponseException.java:196)

Suppressed: reactor.core.publisher.FluxOnAssembly$OnAssemblyException:

Error has been observed at the following site(s):

*__checkpoint ⇢ 400 from POST https://auth.atlassian.com/oauth/token [DefaultWebClient]

What could be causing this issue?

Motivation:

We have a mono-repo, with lots of small services that can be built in parallel. They are defined as parallel steps, but it seems the runner only handles one job at a time so our CPU is under-utilized and our builds are taking a very long time. I understand this limitation; tools like azure-cli have global state for the login details so it's not a good idea to run jobs in parallel on the same machine. As a workaround, I'm trying to set up multiple docker containers on the build server.

1 answer

1 accepted

I had to install a proxy server and inspect the requests to see what was happening. It was simply a mistake in the environment variable configuration, stopping the BITBUCKET_OAUTH_ID variable from being used correctly

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you