to add a new capability in existing plan via DB or via other way

kalubi christian May 1, 2013

Dear,

I would like to add a new capability to all my existing plan. I investigated the Bamboo DB and I didn't found how to insert a new capability linked to all my plan.

Do you have any idea how to proceed? It's not mandoatory to do that via the DB, if you have another solution or way to do ttat, it's also ok

1 answer

0 votes
Brent Villalobos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2013

I dont suggest directly modifying the database as I believe it will need a service restart to take affect and there is a lot of room to really damage your Bamboo instance. If you modify the database incorrectly, its possible that your Bamboo service will fail to restart for example.

If there isnt an official REST call for what you're trying to do (which there isnt for capability modifications), then open a browser and add/modify a capability with a debugging tool like FireBug (firefox) or the element inspector (chrome) enabled. You will then see the underlying url and arguments being called that modifies capabilities. You can then make that call from the command line via wget or curl or write a small tool in perl, python, etc. that makes the change. This is much safer as you are going through the "front door" of Bamboo as a client and not mucking with the database.

Remember, nearly anything you can do through the web UI you can make from a script if you know the URL and arguments. Some disclaimers:

• Since these aren't official public REST calls, Atlassian may change them in future Bamboo releases.
  • You may still need to query the database to get certain values to pass to the REST call, but querying, not changing, the database is pretty safe.
kalubi christian May 2, 2013

It sounds good. Do you have any example because I never made a call REST. I looked at the documentation but it's not so easy

Brent Villalobos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2013

I don't think I could provide an example any easier that what the Atlassian documentation already provides. If you're new to scripting http GET/POST requests then I suggest looking around the internet for information or purchasing a book on the topic since it's a much larger topic than what can be explained in this forum.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events