Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about branch updater

IanYifanChan July 7, 2016

Hi dears,

I have a build plan to run unit tests and integration tests, after all builds succeed, the dev branch only can be merged into master once the pull request is approved in Bitbucket. What I need to realize now is:

Once there is a dev branch submitted the unit tests and integration tests plan started to run, whenever there is other changes in master branch, merge master branch into this dev branch and trigger unit tests and integration tests to re-run......until pull request is approved, dev branch can be merged into master.

I thought this could be achieved by using branch updater, but just have no idea how to implement this. Anyone have some suggestion?

Thank you SO MUCH!

2 answers

1 vote
IanYifanChan July 10, 2016

Thanks for responding Yogesh, but that didn't answer my question...

After several days of tests, I found that a change in master branch will not be merged into the dev branch in Bamboo automatically at all. As introduced by Bamboo official documents:

"The Branch Updater should be used when you want to:

• Automatically merge changes from the team's master branch into your feature branch, after a successful build of the master branch."

whenever I pushed a new commit to master branch in REPO, it does successfully trigger a build on master branch in BAMBOO build plan, but neither the change in master nor the successful build on master branch will trigger what "branch updater" promised to do, in expectation, the change in master or the successful build on master branch should "trigger a merge from master branch to dev branch in bamboo, then push it back to repo dev branch after a successful build."

Whoever has related experiences, please give me some hints... I am struggling...

Esther Strom July 2, 2018

Did you ever figure out how to get the merge to actually happen, @IanYifanChan? I'm having this same issue.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2016

Hi @Ian Chen

When to use Branch Updater and Gatekeeper you can find docs here.

click on the particular plan (plan Configuration) page there you will find Branches tab and you have to select Branch merging enabled and there you will get two options ie Branch Updater and Gatekeeper and you can choose anyone of them.

Note: if your repository type is Subversion then Subversion', which does not support automatic merging.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events