license for remote agents used for deployment

Chris Wundram October 31, 2013

If you assign a remote agent for deployment, you can no longer use it for any builds. Does that mean it no longer counts against my license limit for remote build agents?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2013

All agents used, for both build and deploy, count towards your license limit.

Chris Wundram November 18, 2013

That I what I was afraid of. It is a little disappointing. There is no way I can justify paying for a $1000 remote agent for a machine that is only going to be deployed to once a week or month.

Is there any chance the licensing model will change for deployment agents?

1 vote
roy_lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2013

Can I recommend using ssh/scp tasks instead of actual agents?

Chris Wundram November 18, 2013

Yeah. I am using powershell remoting and the powershell task plugin to allow me to run a task remotely on another machine. It works but I had to do some URL trickery to figure out the location of the correct artifact so the remote host could download it.

Basically it works, but being able to just run the remote agent on each machine being deployed to would make this really powerful.

klingberg January 18, 2016

I'm having about 100 remote servers where I'd like to deploy new releases about 5 times a year.

As Chris mentioned it's hard to justify paying the license fee for all of those environments.

I've successfully created a deployment project without any remote agents, only using the ssh-task and now I'm about to implement the ssh-task-setup at scale.

Do you got any experiences from the ssh-task-powershell setup that I should be aware of?

Why would the remote agent setup become more powerful? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events