Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to prevent/block a deployment plan execution if the latest c.i. build fails?

Deleted user December 15, 2014

3 answers

1 vote
Marcin Oles
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2014

Hi @exuper okouya,

if I understand you correctly, you're using build plans to actually perform deployments. I'd recommend separating builds (with tests) and deployments - by introducing the Bamboo Deployments feature: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Deployment+projects. If I recall correctly, it's available since Bamboo 5.

With actual deployment projects, you have to define releases (aka deployment versions) based on build plans. When creating a release, you have to explicitly select a build number - and this would mean that the person to create a release would have to choose a red build intentionally to perform the scenario you described.

Also, deployments can be configured to be launched automatically after a successful build.

For more information regarding deployments feature in Bamboo you can look for "related pages" under the above link. 

Regards,
Marcin 

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2014

another alternative is to use one stage to build the app and do deployment in second (possibly manual) stage. Stages cannot be run if previous stage fail.

0 votes
Deleted user December 15, 2014

The case is this:

for every project APIs, web app, etc... we have two sets of plans: 

• continuous integration plans to build the app or api
  • deployment to prod plans to release the app or api

recently we eccountered a problem that is someone in the organisation launched a deploy job on a master branch with a build status failed.

After a postmorterm we have decided to  search and implement a solution to make sure deploy plans are blocked when the correponding continuous integration plan indicate a build status failed.

Hopefully my explanations are clear.

0 votes
Marcin Oles
Atlassian Team
December 15, 2014

Hi @exuper okouya,

could you describe your use case in more details please?

Regards,
Marcin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events