Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bamboo service, correct installation, still not running (possible misconfig in JRE path)

Steven_Gosseling February 24, 2016

At my CentOS server, I managed to install and setup the required files following the guide on https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/running-bamboo-as-a-linux-service-416056046.html

When logged in as root I tried to start the bamboo service located in /etc/init.d/ with running the command ./bamboo start

I get the following output:

root@server [/etc/init.d]# ./bamboo start -fg
Starting bamboo
Bamboo Server Edition
   Version : 5.9.10
Detecting JVM PermGen support...
PermGen switch is supported. Setting to 256m
If you encounter issues starting or stopping Bamboo Server, please see the Troubleshooting guide at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Installing+and+upgrading+Bamboo
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/atlassian/bamboo/current
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/atlassian/bamboo/current
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/bamboo/current/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /usr/local/jdk
Using CLASSPATH:       /opt/atlassian/bamboo/current/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/bamboo/current/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Tomcat started.
root@server [/etc/init.d]#

Possibly this has got to do with the wrong JRE home, since this directory does not exist. In the logs of catalina.out i find the error:

/opt/atlassian/bamboo/current/bin/catalina.sh: line 385: /usr/local/jdk/bin/java: No such file or directory

Just for the sake of sanity I went looking at the running services using the ps command, it does not show anything about bamboo.

Could you help me out with this issue?

Besides of this, I am also wondering, once I have my service running, how to connect this server to my account on https://************.atlassian.net ?

1 answer

3 votes
Ezra Rezky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

Hello Steven!

Yes you won't be able to find bamboo service with the ps command because despite tomcat is started, bamboo itself failed to run because it's not using the required JAVA.

According to this documentation, the supported JAVA version for your bamboo is version 1.8. If you doesn't have JAVA 1.8 in your machine, you can check out this link to install it:
Install Java on CentOS

After installing, the PATH to your JAVA should looks something like:

/opt/jdk1.8.0_72/bin/java

Next step is simply to add this path to your Bamboo, which you can achieve by following these steps:

Go to <bamboo_installation_directory>/bin/ folder (where your start-bamboo.sh is located), and inside that folder you can see a file called setenv.sh. Open that file and edit it, and enter these in the bottom of the file:

JAVA_HOME="/opt/jdk1.8.0_72/"
export JAVA_HOME

You can then restart your Bamboo.

This will point your Bamboo to use the appropriate JAVA and your instance should be able to run.

Hope this may help you, and I wish you a good day!

Warm regards,
Ezra A. R. A. 

Ezra Rezky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2016

Steven, if this solution helps, do you mind accepting the answer so other users with similar situation can find this? laugh Thank you!

Admin August 18, 2016

Thank you! @Ezra Rezky your solution worked for me.

Cheers!

>

krishnapatel May 22, 2018

Thanks @Ezra Rezky 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events