cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bamboo run but not disable enable build

Royce Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2014

I am using Bamboo 4.4.5

Is there a way to allow a user access to run a build but not be able to disable/enable a build?

Thanks in advance.

7 answers

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2014

As the support answered, it's not possible at the moment.

The behaviour of BUILD permission is documented here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Configuring+a+plan's+permissions

The rationale behind it is that BUILD gives you full control over running (or not running, ever) a build that only has manual triggers set up. BUILD should give the same kind of control over plans running with different triggers, which means that the user has to be able to enable/disable the plan

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2014

Mike

You're right, I tested this only on enabled plan (and didn't see the disable nor edit button). I confirm that you're able to enable plan using BUILD permission. I'll verify with my colleagues if this is the correct behavior

0 votes
Royce Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2014

This is the answer from Atlassian support:

Unfortunately, the functionality you are requesting is not currently implemented in Bamboo. I would recommend creating a new issue in our development issue tracker for this functionality to ensure our development team is aware of your request:

http://jira.atlassian.com/

For more information on how Atlassian implements new features and improvements please see the following document:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DEV/Implementation+of+New+Features+Policy

My apologies that I do not have a solution for you at this time.

Is there anything else I could help you with, today? If not, I would kindly ask you to close this ticket, please.

Please, do not hesitate on contacting us at any moment.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

0 votes
Mike Thomas October 1, 2014

Thanks Krystian.

The group that the "noedit" user is in only has "Access" enabled under Global Permissions.

To clarify - are you not seeing the "Enable" button on the dashboard? In our case I am seeing it. The user cannot edit the plan (the button is not displayed), but they are able to hit the enable button, and then they can hit the run button that appears in its place.

Royce had also put in a ticket, so we'll see what comes of that.

Thanks ... Mike

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
September 30, 2014

Please also check global permissions on Administration / Global permission page.

I've tested this on Bamboo-4.4.5 and I can see that disabling "Edit" and enabling "Build" permission for a user on the plan will prevent him from any edit actions (including enabling/disabling plan) but he'll be still able to run the plan.

If anything else will fail please contact Atlassian Support.

0 votes
Mike Thomas September 30, 2014

(I work with Royce)

Thanks for the response, but that is not working for us.

As myself (an admin):

• Created the “noedit” user and gave it "View" and "Build" permissions on one of our plans (the group that I used for the “noedit” user has no explicit permissions on the plan)
  • Disabled the plan
  • Logged out of Bamboo

As the noedit user:

• The enable button is visible, I can enable the plan and the “run” button becomes visible

The plan has the following permissions:

• Noedit user: View, Build
  • Env Mgrs group: View, Edit, Build, Clone, Admin (the "noedit" user is not in this group)
  • Logged in users: View
  • Anonymous users: View

The 'Build" permission seems to imply "Enable" (and presumably "Disable" although I didn't try that).

Mike

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
September 29, 2014

Go to the plan configuration / permissions and verify that the user has enabled "Build" permission but disabled "Edit" permission. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events