bamboo deployment best practices

I've had a ball this week getting deployment plans in place for a number of projects (all very simple and very similar) and I have some generic questions.

When creating a deployment project the first deployment (to DEV) downloads the artifact and then I have steps that extract then copy the files (deploy) to the dev server. The deployable artifacts are not environment specific. All config files are excluded and no compile occurs during the build so there are no additional factors on that end (these are cold fusion projects)

Right now I'm downloading, extracting and copying in each environment deployment.

It seems risky but plausible that I COULD exclude the download and extraction steps for all future deployments of this same build since it is stored in a separate "deployment" project directory on the bamboo host during the dev deployment. Thus reusing the artifacts and just copying to subsequent environments in QA and PROD deployments.

There aren't any separate environment specific "folders" created in the bamboo deployment workspace are there? (so that the cwd is the same no matter what environment deployment is being run)? (Or is a new deployment workspace created for each subsequent environment?)

I think the down side is the risk that something could change in the deployment project between the time of the dev deployment and the time of the QA / PROD deployment altering the artifacts that I'm deploying to the advanced envs. (We have very restricted access to the bamboo host so the odds of anything occurring, by a force outside of bamboo itself, is limited).

Can anyone provide any thoughts on whether this is a real risk or not? Unexpected cleanup processes might run?

Thanks in advance,

GJ

1 answer

1 accepted

Each environment does have it's own working directory. The default location is at bamboo-home\xml-data\build-dir\{0}-{1} where {0} is your Deployment project Id and {1} is your Environment Id. You can see the ID's in the query string from the web view or use the (currently unofficial) API to get it in JSON http://{Bamboo}/rest/api/latest/deploy/dashboard

Ah, I only have a single environment for each deployment so far so it wasn't apparent. Thanks Jason

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,076 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot