access bamboo password/secret variables inside a shell script task (file not inline)

Ashis Nayak November 1, 2017

I'm using a shell script task as part of build process. When I access variables using ${bamboo.my.variable} and ${bamboo.my.secret}, it works fine for  inline task. However if I use, ${bamboo_my_variable} and ${bamboo_my_secret} in an external script file, only the first one i.e. normal variable works, but not the secret one.

Is there a way to access secret/password variables inside external script files? Bamboo version 6.1.0

1 answer

0 votes
robhit
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2017

Hi Ashish,

I don't think it is possible to access the Bamboo password variables value in this fashion because if you see the build logs you will observe that Bamboo has already hashed(***) the value so you cannot access it.

Thanks!

Ashis Nayak November 2, 2017

Hi Robhit,

Thanks for your input.

My point is if I can access the password variable in the inline script, then why not in an external script file. What's the rational behind this?

robhit
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2017

That is how the Bamboo is designed to safeguard the sensitive data when it gets into environment variables.

You can see when we select inline the Bamboo creates a temporary script task in which it stores the commands and then execute it one by one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events