Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work from Linux Bamboo server to execute PowerShell script on remote Windows server

Chris Lenz June 16, 2016

Hi,

1. Will PowerShell Task work on Linux Bamboo server?
  2. Will it be able to execute commands on a remote Windows server either by inline commands or executing a script that is on the remote server?

thanks,

Chris

4 answers

1 vote
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2016

1) If you have Windows Bamboo Agents, you can use them to run PowerShell scripts within a build regardless of the OS of the Bamboo Server itself.

2) Are you trying to run PowerShell scripts on a remote computer other than a Bamboo Agent?  Like as part of a deployment?  That should be possible use the SSH task or something like that.

0 votes
Sergey Podobry _Stellarity Software_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2020

I want to notify you that PowerShell Task Addon supports Linux now (you just need to install pwsh). So answer on both questions is yes.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2016

Yes, you need a Windows Bamboo agent to use PowerShell Task.

David Chin January 22, 2020

Well, shouldn't the build plan task be smart enough to not have windows powershell drop down available for a Linux Agent?  

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2020

Build plans know nothing about agents. Compatibility with agents is checked later when a build is about to be run. Then only appropriate agents are selected.

BTW, if you need running PowerShell on Linux PowerShell Task Addon supports it.

Like David Chin likes this
David Chin January 23, 2020

Thank you so much!  Sorry to complain about a thread that's 3 years old without doing my homework.  

0 votes
Chris Lenz June 16, 2016

The two agents are both local, so, no, they would have to be linux since this Bamboo instance is on linux. So it appears I would need to have a remote agent on the Windows server where I could use "PowerShell" task, or use an SSH task.

thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events