Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a build fail when an EC2 Spot instance is dropped?

Joe McCall March 11, 2013

I couldn't find much documentation on Elastic Bamboo's support for EC2 Spot instances, other than the fact that it's "supported." Will a build fail when an EC2 spot instance is dropped due to being outbid? My image configuration specifies an instance type of "small" to spin up (using a stock AMI). If I bid on a Large and Extra Large instance will it use the same stock AMI?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2013

Yes, the build will be dropped. The instance will use the instance type specified in the image configuration. If you need other instance types, you need to define image configuration for them.

Joe McCall March 13, 2013

Is there a backup plan to avoid false-negatives? Also, I want regular instances to only use m1.small instances, but spot instances to be supported for m1.large and up. Is this supported?

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2013

No, there's no backup plan. We use spot instances all the time (hundreds per day) and we don't get many false negatives.

If you don't set up the bid level for small, set up bid levels for other instances and specify a long spot instance fallback, the result should be more or less what you want.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events