Why does my deploy task hang?

Deleted user August 10, 2014

I have a deployment task of type "script" that executes a custom Mcollective RPC agent that restarts a glassfish app server on a remote host. When the deployment project gets to this task it just hangs, never completing. If I run exactly the same mcollective command from the bamboo server's command line, it works fine.

I also have another deployment task as part of the same deployment project that runs mcollective's built-in "package" task against the same remote host, and bamboo seems to have no problem with it. I thought maybe it was because my RPC agent wasn't returning a proper exit code, but I've done some testing and it appears to be returning a code correctly. Now, I'm wondering if it's because I'm using Mcollective's run() command to execute the glassfish restart and perhaps it's running in a subshell that bamboo can't detect, but I don't know why that would be the case, as bamboo is only communicating with Mcollective.

I know it's a very specific issue and may not be bamboo related at all, but since everything appears to work fine when I take bamboo out of the equation, it makes me think that there's something on the bamboo side.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
cbenard1
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2014

Hi Guy,

I'd be happy to take a closer look at the issue. Would it be possible to copy/paste the text of the deployment log to this issue so I can further review? If you'd prefer not to do that could I get you to raise a ticket at support.atlassian.comand attach the log file there so we can further review? If you prefer to go that route and update me here with a link to the issue I'll take a look asap.

Thanks!

Turner

Deleted user August 11, 2014

Hi Turner,

Yes, I could do that. Before I do I should mention that I posed this question to the puppet users group and the author of mcollective suggested it could be that mcollective is waiting for stdin to be closed, and that perhaps Bamboo isn't doing this. He said there is a ticket in on the Mcollective side to change this behaviour, but who knows when that will be actioned. However, if that's the case would there be any way to deal with this from the bamboo side?

However, if you think the above is not the issue I'll go ahead and log the support ticket as suggested.

Thanks,

Guy

cbenard1
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2014

Hi Guy,

I'd believe that this is an mcollective issue before a Bamboo issue in this case. Specifically because this is a known mcollective issue and I've been unable to find another Bamboo customer with your exact issue. I'm fairly certain if this was a Bamboo issue I'd have seen something by now. That said, i'm not 100% sure and can't really be until seeing the logfiles.

If youare satisfied with the mcollective answer then I see no reason to pursue this further. However if you'd like us to investigate further on the smaller chance this is a Bamboo issue please proceed with raising the ticket, but I'd ask that you include the information about the mcollective issue in the ticket as a disclaimer!

Thanks!

Turner

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events