Who triggered a manual stage?

Heather Wells January 23, 2012

Is there any way to find out which user triggered a manual stage in Bamboo? When I look at the Summary for that stage it tells me that the build was triggered by changed code. This was true for the first stage, but not for the manual stage at the end of the build.

3 answers

0 votes
William Sargent May 25, 2012

I fixed this with a PreJobAction and the example code from https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/35653/is-it-possible-to-set-bamboo-variables-in-one-stage-via-custom-task-and-retrieve-it-in-a-different-stage -- there really needs to be more flexible and comprehensive documentation on how to set variables in Bamboo.

0 votes
Heather Wells April 9, 2012

It looks like Bamboo 4.0 has this feature...but it's not working. I triggered a manual build. Another user then triggered a manual stage after all the automatic stages had completed. The Dashboard now says "Manual build by Dave," listing the user who triggered the last manual stage. The build page sometimes says "Trigger: The build was manually triggered from the stage: Deploy by Dave" and sometime says "Trigger: The build was manually triggered from the stage: Deploy by Heather," changing as you click the various stages.

Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2012

Yeah we've seen this as well... depending on how the trigger occured affects what is shown as the "user" who triggered it... and it seems that the MetaData variable for hte username doesn't really know exactly who triggered the manual stage and from where

James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2012

Heather, to confirm, are you looking at the trigger reason for build results that were created after your upgrade to Bamboo 4? The fix we added does not work retrospectively across your old build results.

0 votes
Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2012

Yeah this is something that'd be useful for us.. we use the Atlassian CLI on our agents to do things like "auto-comment" and "promote tasks", etc.. we use Manaul Stages for "Approval" steps... and it'd be nice to have our auto-commenter code say, "This build was approved by _________" and be able to access a variable that was whoever triggered the manual stage

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events