Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the deployment tasks?

Mike Curwen NL August 14, 2012

So bamboo sales material talks about "continuous deployment" and pipelines, and their screenshots have tasks like "deploy to QA". But when I attempt to add a Deployment task, I see no tasks when I click the 'Deployment' type. Is this a big tease, or a big mistake?

1 answer

0 votes
Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

Mike,

What kinds of deployments are you looking to do?

Bamboo has several relevant plugins, but they are not installed by default.

Tomcat Plugin - allows you stop/start/deploy to a Tomcat web app server

JBoss Plugin - allows you stop/start/deploy to a JBoss web app server

SSH/SCP Plugin - ability to SCP/SSH to remote servers for deploying, running scripts, etc.

Artifactory - If you use Artifactory you can deploy directly to it.

Not all the current plugins support all recent versions of Bamboo so browsing through Bamboo's Plugin Manager can be not effective at times. Best bet is to explore all Bamboo plugins through the marketplace. Even if some of the plugins may be out of date. it gives you an idea of what is out there.

James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

Tomcat, SCP/SSH and JBoss Tasks are all supported on the latest Bamboo (4.2).

Mike Curwen NL August 14, 2012

A simple file copy to a test server is about as sophisticated as we can get, right now. So I did find the SSH/SCP plugin and am trying to get it working. James, my issue with you saying "... are supported..." is that in the plugin marketplace they are labelled as "No Vendor Support", which is Atlassian. This circles back around to my irritation about having marketing material that talks about continuous deployment, but requiring unsupported (and not installed by default) plugins to accomplish even something as simple as "move the artifact to this server". I sympathize that "deployment" means hundreds of things to thousands of customers, but maybe even some improved documentation would help.

James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2012

I understand your frustrations Mike and you are not alone. We've got a plan for documenting and commerically supporting some of these Tasks plugins that is being worked on as we speak. If you have any problems, feel free to email me directly at james@atlassian.com.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events