Where are the avatars?

Scott Molinari January 22, 2014

Along with my gripe about not being able to change the look and feel the same way across the products Jira, Confluence, Stash and Bamboo, the same concern goes for user avatars.

Why must a user go through Gravatar to change a user avatar in Stash and why can't a user even change an avatar in Bamboo?

If I am on Jira's user directory within all the applications, why can't the avatar the user saved in Jira be carried over to each application automatically?

Scott

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Molinari February 7, 2014

I am going to answer my own question as an answer, even though this isn't a solution to my question, just so the damn emails can stop telling me my question hasn't been marked as answered yet.

This system needs improvement.

How about staff from Atlassian get emails about unanswered questions and stop sending them to me? I don't need to be reminded I never got my answer to my question and in fact, it sort of pisses me off, when I am reminded and even bothered about the fact that I didn't get an answer.

Scott

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2014

Bamboo uses Gravatar too. Check if Gravatar support is enabled in your General Configuration and that your email is registered with Gravatar.

Scott Molinari January 23, 2014

Thanks, but why use Gravatar, when the avatar is already sitting in Jira without Gravatar? Also, if Jira and Confluence have this function, why can't Stash and Bamboo have it too? It seems like the right hand of Atlassian doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

I can also imagine using Gravatar for companies with a tight security around their development is a no-no and it simply doesn't make sense for applications like Bamboo and Stash, which would stay mostly internal to a company.

I could, however, imagine it is much more useful for Confluence and Jira or any other software where the general public can be given permission to see content from those systems and where users from the general public (customers of Atlassian customers) register to comment in those systems, THEN use Gravatar for their avatars. That makes sense.

Oh, and the Gravatar function doesn't seem to work properly in our Bamboo either. Doesn't matter really. I don't want Gravatar, I want an avatar function in the system.

Scott

Sam Grooms April 16, 2014

I agree with Scott on this. This is pretty dumb to have 2 of the 4 major Atlassian products using a different method for profile avatar management.

Craig Neth September 30, 2014

Amen. Our usage of Jira/Confluence/Bamboo is all internal; all external access has to be vetted for business use; using an external service for pictures is not going to fly (beside, then my developers would all have to map their internal identities to external identities, also a non-starter). So Gravatar is not a 'solution'.

Peter Kahn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2015

Nothing worked for me until I fiddle on gravatar's site with making my work email primary and then toggling back. I'll bet it's just an update issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events