Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the recommended way of triggering a Bamboo deployment plan from a JIRA release?

pdhaigh October 29, 2014

I can trigger a build from a JIRA release, but I actually want to deploy the release. Of course, I could add the deployment tasks to the build job, but that circumvents the use of the deployment plan. Since it seems that deployment plans are the Future, surely there is a way to use these from the JIRA release?

4 answers

0 votes
pdhaigh November 2, 2014

Thanks Mike - but this means that you can't use automatic builds, as they will then trigger the deployment.

The work around that seems best is the use automatic builds with a "dummy" manual stage, so the builds complete all the real work, but pause rather than completing. A JIRA release can then select that build to finish - with a deployment plan containing an automatic trigger as you suggest.

However, I'm sure Atlassian have plans to make this integration a little tighter - rather than requiring a work around - is there an issue we can watch to track progress on this?

0 votes
Mike Howells
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2014

You can configure triggers in your deployment plan environments to automatically deploy when a build is successful. So you could get JIRA to trigger a build and get that build to trigger the deployment to an environment, e.g. the first environment in your deployment pipeline.

Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 12.33.34 am.png

0 votes
pdhaigh October 30, 2014

Ok, so JIRA doesn't currently support this natively. Are there plans for this? It would make sense to me, as this appears to be a reduction in functionality if you use Bamboo deployment plans - which surely isn't the intention.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

You can write a JIRA listener that kicks of the deployment plan in Bamboo. Need some dev effort!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events