Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the best practices for bamboo backup?

vdastpak April 4, 2013

Our Bamboo server runs off an external SQL Server, which is backed up regularly every night. We have also set up Bamboo to run biweekly backups on a remote file system. Is this necessary? Can I safely disable these backups since they interfer with my nightly builds?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 7, 2013

If you back up your DB anyway, you can disable the Bamboo's internal backup as long as you back up Bamboo's home directory separately.

You don't have to stop Bamboo to back up the home directory - if there are any inconsistencies on the FS in case of failure, they will be easy to solve.

vdastpak April 8, 2013

Thanks.

I haven't seen any settings for backing up the home directory, so I assume this should be handled outside Bamboo. Correct?

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2013

Right. You can just rsync it.

Antonio B De Leon May 8, 2015

@Przemyslaw Bruski Will you please confirm that this information is still valid? My team is putting together a DR recovery plan that includes Bamboo. We have the database hosted externally on a SQL server with good backup/restore practices in place. We are switching off of the "Scheduled Backup" option on Bamboo to a method that involves us backing up the server's home directory on the file system to another location. In our scenario, we lose the server and bring up a new one from a stale template (maybe weeks old). So long as the only changes to occur on the server have been within the Bamboo UI, would it be safe to assume that restoring the home directory from a backup will allow Bamboo to function even though the database would still be in a current state but the home directory would be maybe a day old?

Like Bruce Davis likes this
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
May 10, 2015

Some thing will go missing (artifacts/logs/successful test results) or go stale (administration configuration changes), but yes, everything should still work. Bamboo upgrades and plugin upgrades are special cases: you need to make sure backup gets refreshed after Bamboo upgrade and installation of plugins.

Antonio B De Leon May 11, 2015

@Przemyslaw Bruski Thank you for your response.

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2019

HI @Przemek Bruski

Actually, we want to take backup of bamboo home dir but when i was looking into the bamboo home size its showing more 100+GB (includes artifacts and all).

Is there any way that we can take only bamboo plans backup so that when we run that plan it will generate the artifact and using plan backup we should restore our data when there is something went wrong.

What are the directories that i need to take the backup of bamboo home so that using which we can restore it back whenever we required and it should contain less space.

Any suggestions are welcome....

Like jovaltech likes this
jovaltech January 21, 2020

According to the cloning documentation here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/cloning-a-bamboo-instance-289277407.html?_ga=2.71256912.1302185969.1579448921-1266031545.1576069116

"You can reduce the size of a compressed <bamboo-production-home>file by deleting the xml-data/build-dir directory that contains working copies of the checked-out sources."

So it should be ok to restore a backup without this folder, at least it worth trying because this folder should take something like 80% of the size of the entire bamboo home folder.

We will test it soon in my project, i'll come back with some infos after the restore test.

jovaltech January 24, 2020

After restore the instance is ok, so i can confirm no need to backup the /build-dir if you don't need builds history on your backup. 

0 votes
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2013

Backups are generally very useful for fallback reason should anything unexpected happens. Therefore disabling might not be an option but you can choose to use the native database backup tools or the dump of the database as an alternative.

James Brown November 27, 2017

Is it possible to live backup the SQL Database while Bamboo is still running?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events