Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the Prerequisite to build and deploy .Net project on Bamboo

Yogesh Mude December 7, 2017

I want to build and deploy.Net project either using Visual Studio or MSBuild on the server what will be the prerequisite I need to install on the server.

Which Build tool will be better for building the .net project and deploying.

2 answers

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Hi Yogesh,

There is a knowledge base article titled Getting started with .NET and Bamboo that can provide specific information related to what you're looking to do.

In regards to which tool you would like to use depends on your needs.  The knowledge base article I sent you has information on configuring MSBuild, Visual Studio and NAnt.

Cheers,

Branden

Hi @somethingblue,

Thanks for your response man !!

i went thru the knowledge base article and both are one and the same. but in the article, they didn't mention what i need to provide the options if i would like to build using Visual Studio.

I wanted to know what prerequisites i need to install server like...MSBuild build tool/.Net Framework/.Net Developer pack/Visual Studio....

They have provided https://www.visualstudio.com/ link for more information about Visual Studio.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Hi Yogesh,

The best way to have Bamboo deploy the project is going to be in the same way you normally do. There's no need to get into the MSBuild level unless you're are already using it.

In addition, if you run into any issues with the .Net project you can put the commands into a PowerShell script and then have Bamboo execute it as a PS script task.

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers,

Branden

Hi @somethingblue

Actually, I have worked on java but not yet on  .Net before.

if i used Visual Studio and build the project and bamboo shows that the build was successful but how do i run and check if this is working properly.

In java suppose we are developing a plugin using maven build tool then we will first check out the source code and build with Maven and once the build is successful it will create an artifact and then we can deploy this artifact on jira and then check if it is working or not.

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2017

I think the answer for this really boils down to what binaries you actually need to use when building.

You'll then add those as Bamboo capabilities:

Hi @Timothy,

Thanks for your response.

I have gone thru that both the articles, those articles describe the agent's capabilities that to related to Maven, Ant, git and all.

Actually, i want to build and deploy a .Net project using Bamboo

for that what will be the prerequisite that i need to install on the server. If you see all the capabilities that are listed within the articles are related to Java.

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2017

Hi @Yogesh Mude,

How do I put this..

Only you can determine what your build needs. If you need to build with A, then you add A as a capability for the Server or the Agent. If you need B, then you add B. Adding a capability is the same process no matter what stack you are building for / against.

If you are not the developer and only a build engineer, then you need to go back to the development team.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events