Use multiple agents in one plan

elac16 April 6, 2017

Hello,

I have full access only on our Bamboo project. Admin stuffs are taken care by Bamboo admin team. 
In our bamboo project, we have different build plans. Each plan has multiple jobs which need to run on different agents. We have two dedicated remote agents. One is linux agent and other one is Windows. To use Sonar system, we have to use a default local agent. When I asked admin team to dedicate a local agent to our project for Sonar execution, They said its possible, but not recommended. I have few questions on this. 

Plan-1 (contains multiple stages)
Stage-1 --> Linux agent
Stage-2 --> Windows agent
Stage-3 --> Local agent

1. Is there a way to dedicate a local agent to one project that already has remote agents? Local agent is being shared by all teams. 
2. Is is possible to dedicate a local agent for particular plan in one project? If that is possible, will I be able to use another remote agent in the same plan?
For example, if agent-1 is dedicated to one build plan for deployment purpose, I would still need to use agent-2 for running tests in the same plan. 
3. I know we can control which stage should run on which agent by using agent capabilities. If we use multiple agents on different stages in the same plan, will there be any performance issue? Is it recommended? 
4. Can we dedicate any agent to one project which was already shared with other project? In our case, it is local agent.
5. From my point of  view, Running jobs on mutiple agents in the same plan is one of the best practises to achieve Continous Integration. Having said that, dedicating only one agent for a plan is not acceptable. 

Also please share some best practises and articles on agent setup and how to use multiple agents in a project and plan. Thanks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2017

Hi Elavarasan! How are you doing?

I totally agree with you. Running different jobs in different agents makes it far more easy to run Continuous Integration builds.

In most cases, we use capabilities to force the jobs to run in specific agents. We have no performance issues using this approach.

In your scenario, it would be possible to achieve the same result dedicating agents, selecting the Build job option in the Type select. One thing to pay attention is: once you dedicate an agent, you will have to dedicate it to any build that can ran on it, otherwise they will stay in the queue forever.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events