Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to switch to "Local users and groups" authentication mode in bamboo

Isaac Stennett December 1, 2016

I'm currently using crowd for bamboo integration, but would like to create a local bamboo admin as a fail-safe if our crowd server goes down for any reason (it's happened in the past).

However, when I try to switch to "Local users and groups" mode in the "User Repositories" section of bamboo administration, I receive the following error:

"Failed to change the active user repository: At least one administrator required, but none were found. The following administrator groups were searched: [NRMP_Admins, bamboo-admin]"

I did some research and it seemed like the answer was to have a local admin user. Unfortunately, I don't believe I have a local admin user. It may have gotten deleted somewhere down the line. Apparently I'm unable to re-create a local admin user without first switching to local mode.

Seems like I'm in a catch-22 type situation. In order to create a local admin, I need to switch to local mode. But in order to switch to local mode, I need to create a local admin. Is there some backend way to solve this problem, or am I out of luck?

1 answer

0 votes
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2016

Hello Isaac,

I am assuming you have users in NRMP_Admins group. If so, add this group in Bamboo administration >> Security >> Global permissions and grant it Admin privileges.

Once you have added, please reattempt on switching from Local users and groups to:

• Users and groups from JIRA or Crowd
  • Custom repositories

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico

Isaac Stennett December 2, 2016

Thanks for the reply Rafael. Currently the NRMP_Admins does have admin global permissions, and Bamboo is already set to "Users and groups from JIRA or Crowd."

What I'm trying to do is create a local admin user, which to my understanding involves switching back to "local users and groups" mode before creating a new user. However, when I try to do this I get the error in my original question.

Any advice for this scenario?

rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2016

What I'm trying to do is create a local admin user...

You do not have access to Bamboo's Internal Directory when using "Users and groups from JIRA or Crowd." and because of that, you are required to change back to "Local users and groups" as you have mentioned.

If running Bamboo 5.13.0.x or 5.13.1 with MSSQL, you might be hitting this bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-17905

In this case, you should:

1. stop Bamboo
  2. backup <bamboo-home>/xml-data/configuration/atlassian-user.xml
  3. edit atlassian-user.xml :

&lt;atlassian-user&gt;
        &lt;repositories&gt;
            &lt;hibernate name="Hibernate Repository" key="hibernateRepository" description="Hibernate Repository" cache="true"/&gt;
        &lt;/repositories&gt;
    &lt;/atlassian-user&gt;
  4. start Bamboo
    information At this moment you will no longer have access to users from Jira/Crowd, so you must authenticate in Bamboo using a user from Bamboo's Internal Directory (e.g the same user created while installing Bamboo)
  5. create the user (you must have administrative access)
  6. stop Bamboo
  7. restore backed up atlassian-user.xml
  8. start Bamboo

information Users from Bamboo's Internal Directory are stored in USERS table in the database. If you do not remember the password, you could update it to "admin" using this hash:

{PKCS5S2}phbp9mo6wRaS5cuF3bQ3vvX8pdDuqxPmSLVyNMO9hj4uUsSdTrRndFGaBTlAthGu

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/restoring-passwords-to-recover-admin-users-289277354.html

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico

Isaac Stennett January 4, 2017

Rafael,

Sorry for the late response. Appreciate the help. The problem with running the steps you have mentioned are that I do not believe we have a local admin anymore. Is that possible? I looked through the internal directory as well as the database and didn't see one. If so, how would I create a new admin to be able to log in locally?

Isaac Stennett January 6, 2017

Also just to clarify, we're using Bamboo 5.12.2.1 with PostgreSQL.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events