Unable to integrate JIRA with Bamboo despite both Application Links showing status as "Connected"

James McNatty November 8, 2017

I am currently in the process of setting up integration between JIRA Cloud (cloud/hosted) and Bamboo (installed on-premise on our own server) but am struggling to get the integration to work.

I have successfully configured the 'Application Link' and can see the application link status showing as "Connected" (in green) for both directions (JIRA -> Bamboo and Bamboo -> JIRA).

I'm fairly sure we have Bamboo -> JIRA integrated, as I am able to create a Build in Bamboo and tag it with a JIRA ticket and link to JIRA successfully.

However I don't think JIRA -> Bamboo is working, as when we look at a JIRA task, the Bamboo widget on the right hand side only displays the following error - JIRA is having difficulty contacting Atlassian Bamboo. If this condition persists, please contact your JIRA administrators.

Please let me know any further information/logs you require from me to investigate this further.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Hi James,

Can you verify the port number that you're using with Bamboo? Per Link to server apps from Cloud it needs to be either 443 or 80, so I just want to be sure there.

I'd also like to have a look at your Jira instance myself as well as your Jira logs, which I am able to do as it's on Cloud. However, I wasn't able to find a Cloud instance under your current email, just the Bamboo license. Do you have any information that would help me to identify your Cloud license?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

James McNatty November 12, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the response, however this actually reminded me that I had not yet updated my previous post - i.e. I have actually since resolved the issue myself.

It was a bit of a stab in the dark, but it seems it may have been due to the 2 systems - JIRA (cloud) + Bamboo (on-premise) - having 2 different sets of users, given that they are 2 completely separate systems. So I ended up creating the same matching "Administrator" user account in Bamboo with the exact same matching Username as it was in JIRA, and it then resolved the issues.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2017

James,

Glad you were able to resolve it! Thank you very much for sharing that resolution with us.

Take care and have a pleasant week.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Pieter Wouter Hartog
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2019

@James McNatty thanks for sharing the solution.

I'm having the same issue and same situation (local bamboo, jira cloud) and I'm getting the same error. I'm using the most open connection I can think of: port forwarding to expose my local Bamboo online.

Question is: how do you know the (internal) user name on JIRA Cloud? I don't think it's the email address, since you can change that. But I might be wrong.

Let me know how you figured out the user name on Jira Cloud. Once I have that, I can create the user name on Bamboo.

Thank you!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 12, 2019

Pieter,

The Cloud support team can look into that for you. We have gotten rid of usernames in the UI of Jira Cloud, but I believe they can still be found in the database somewhere.

Contact Support

Regards,

Shannon

James McNatty March 12, 2019

Hi @Pieter Wouter Hartog unfortunately we never actually ended up going ahead with using Bamboo in our Prod environment, so we have since decommissioned the Bamboo EC2 instance so I'm unable to confirm the exact settings that I had done previously.

However from my previous notes that I documented for myself, the additional manual steps that I ended up needing to do were:

• Modified the Tomcat 'server.xml' config file to include "proxyName=URLofAWSLoadBalancer" (e.g. proxyName=bamboo.companyname.com)
  • Create a local (not LDAP) Administrator user account in Bamboo but make sure that you create it with the exact same username as the Administrator account in JIRA cloud

To be honest, I cannot remember exactly how I was able to determine the username at the time, but I can confirm that it's definitely NOT the email address (as you already suspected).

Hopefully that helps, otherwise as Shannon suggested, might be worth logging a call with Atlassian support, as it sounds like they may be able to get the username details from the underlying database.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events