Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble installing bamboo as service on Windows 64

LexGFK August 18, 2017

I can run Bamboo on my windows server (Server 2016) through the console by running 'bin\start-bamboo'. However when i try to install as a service, by running 'InstallAsService' i get the following error:

C:\Program Files\Bamboo>InstallAsService.bat

C:\Program Files\Bamboo>@echo off
'@echo' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files\Bamboo>setlocal

C:\Program Files\Bamboo>set _PRG_DIR=C:\Program Files\Bamboo\

C:\Program Files\Bamboo>cd C:\Program Files\Bamboo\

C:\Program Files\Bamboo>set PATH=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\bin;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\<USERNAME-REMOVED>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps

C:\Program Files\Bamboo>"C:\Program Files\Bamboo\bin\service.bat" install Bamboo
Installing the service 'Bamboo' ...
Using CATALINA_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Bamboo"
Using CATALINA_BASE: "C:\Program Files\Bamboo"
Using JAVA_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144"
Using JRE_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\jre"
Using JVM: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll"
Failed installing 'Bamboo' service

I've tried running the batch file through an administrative command prompt with no luck.

This is an increadably unhelpful error and i would like some help understanding whats going wrong here

2 answers

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2017

Hi Lex,

This could be due to the local user PATH being set in Environment Variables. Even if the local account has admin permissions which grants access to the system PATH, Bamboo will not see it unless the user PATH is removed.

Try this:

Remove the user %PATH% defined in Environment Variables

1. Right-click Computer/This PC > Properties
  2. Click Advanced System Settings
  3.  Click Environment Variables
  4. In User Variables:
    1. select PATH variable
    2.  click, Delete
  5. Start JIRA

Hopefully that helps.  If not, take a look at the article titled ́╗┐' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Cheers,

Branden

LexGFK August 18, 2017

Hi Branden

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately neither of these solved the issue. I have deleted my user PATH variable but that did not help. I also change the file to ANSI instead of UTF-8 but with no luck. The console window dump now looks like this.

C:\Program Files\Bamboo>InstallAsService.bat
Installing the service 'Bamboo' ...
Using CATALINA_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Bamboo"
Using CATALINA_BASE: "C:\Program Files\Bamboo"
Using JAVA_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144"
Using JRE_HOME: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\jre"
Using JVM: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_144\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll"
Failed installing 'Bamboo' service

LexGFK August 25, 2017

@somethingblue Still haven't had any luck with this, are there any kind of logs somwhere i can have a look at? So far this has been a bad experience trying to get this set up, it really should not be this hard.

LexGFK September 1, 2017

@somethingblue Any insights here?

0 votes
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2017

Check permissions on the temp directory for the user running Bamboo

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/running-bamboo-as-a-windows-service-289277308.html

LexGFK August 21, 2017

I was running the installation .bat from an administrative command prompt, that should give full elevated privalages to anywhere in the ProgramsFiles directory right?

edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2017

I meant the user that is currently running Bamboo ex. a user account or system account .. must have access to the temp directory

LexGFK September 1, 2017

I tired making a new local user on the server, giving it full permissions to the bamboo-home folder and temp folder, and running the install batch file as that user but it did not work.. any other suggestions?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events