Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track Changes for a Plan

John Bowker March 11, 2013

Is there way to track changes made to a plan in Bamboo? Our plans go through many iterations and often jobs are disabled or arguments changed for testing.

Tracking these changes would add a great deal of value to Bamboo.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2013

Hello John,

When you are editing Plan configuration you should be able to click the "Audit Log" tab. There you should see the listing of recent changes of that Plan configuration fields. Maybe that tab would be sufficient to your need? See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Editing+a+plan's+configuration for some reference.

regards,

John Bowker March 11, 2013

Thats fantastic!

This really should be enabled by default, its envaluable in large companies where mulitple people have access to plans.

Peter Kahn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2013

Piotr,

Is there a way to view configuration deltas? I recall that quickbuild's audit logs show deltas. Alternatively, is there a plugin to use source control as a back end for configuration files?

i'm about to increase the plan complexity and I need a way to allow me to roll back to last known good changes or use historical modification during process debugging. In the worst case I can perhaps use a cron job to commit changes.

Thanks

Peter

PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2013

Peter,

I'm not aware of any viable method of viewing configuration deltas in Bamboo. From time to time I've seen people with similar problem (vcs'ing Bamboo plans) and sometimes they tried to hack some solution (like for example introduce "Plan templates") but yet I didn't hear of existing and working solution.

So my guess is that without hacking own Bamboo plugin you won't achieve any historical traceability over Plan configurations.

Although if we speak about that, I must mention that some time ago I've seen a non-documented API or REST point in Bamboo for retrieving configuration .xml file for a single, arbitrary Plan. Not that it makes any difference for your case, but I'd speculate that someone could use that mechanism to write external, crude tool for simulating VCSing configuration - at least for the view part. Just mentioning.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

regards,
PS

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events