Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The mail settings you entered were not valid. Error thrown was: com.sun.mail.util.MailConnectExcepti

Manish Sharma November 16, 2017

Hi

No emails are getting triggered post build run. I tried entering my mail id under Mail server and go below error:

The mail settings you entered were not valid. Error thrown was: com.sun.mail.util.MailConnectException: Couldn't connect to host, port: smtp.office365.com, 587; timeout 20000; nested exception is: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

Followed following KB article but could not get specific solution:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-jira-s-smtp-mail-server-to-send-notifications-861253781.html

Do let me know if I need to send other logs. Pls suggest.

Thanks

Manish

1 answer

0 votes
robhit
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2017

Hi Manish,

Looking at your error, it seems like a connectivity issue or configuration issue to me because "connect timed out"

You can test the mail using the CMD or terminal by command "telnet"

For example:

telnet smtp.office365.com 587

See if you can establish the connectivity from the machine where bamboo is hosted. 

Thanks

Manish Sharma November 17, 2017

Hi Robhit

Thanks for your reply.

Tried running a ping command on our AWS server and got successfully message.

ping smtp.office.365.com 587  >> It threw error that 587 is bad parameter

ping smtp.office.365.com 587  >> it successfully pinged.

Pls suggest

emails not send_Nov17.png

robhit
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2017

Hi Manish,

There is a difference between Ping and telnet.

In short:

Ping: check connection (knock on the door of the remote server).

Telnet: gives access to the remote system if it is running telnet daemon.

And while using port 587 ping throws the error because it does not support that parameter.

Try executing the telnet command which I shared earlier. This will test the connectivity between your bamboo machine and the SMTP server if the port 587 which you are using is correct or open or not

Thanks

Hi Robhit

Unfortunately I am not unable to use Telnet as its not configured. However, I am reaching out to my server team to see if this port in question ( 587) is blocked or not. Thanks  

robhit
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2017

Hi Manish,

Update me on this!

And we will see if we can help you here.

Thanks

Hi Robhit, With help of our IT team we were able to open port 587 and now mails are getting triggered. Thank you so much for suggesting this approach. You may pls go ahead and close this incident and send me survey link if possible.

You are five star bamboo guy!!

Thanks

Manish

robhit
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2017

Hi Manish,

Good to know that it's working now.

However, this is community platform so no ticket and survey for this. But you can accept my answer so that others can also benefit from it.

Community work is to spread the help among the Atlassian users.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events