Temporary Bamboo Build Artifacts

Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

I have been using Bamboo for quite awhile, so I know a lot of the ins and outs of it already, however one thing has always perplexed me on handling artifacts.

Is there anyway to have "temporary" artifacts within a build so I can share between jobs/stages?

For instance. I am building a product that delivers both 32bit and 64bit architectures internally in our studio with 1 zip file. I have parallel jobs running on multiple build agents. One agent builds 32bit, the other builds 64bit. Each capture their own artifact respectively.

I have a post-build stage where a job combines both of these artifacts together to make the end-product. However I am still storing the individual artifacts pieces from the previous stage and that takes up room on the Bamboo server.

I'd love to be able to tell Bamboo to "disregard" artifacts at a particular job level and only store the 1 end product so I can parallelize my build to multiple agents for faster build times of the end product. The only way I see to share artifacts between multiple stages within a plan is to mark them as "shared" - but that in turn gives them permanence on the Master bamboo server, storing large artifacts that serve no purpose for the end product.

Am I simply approaching bamboo wrong in this regard? Are you not meant to build 1 product across multiple systems to in the end just build 1 deliverable?

Thanks,

Cameron

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2016

It's not possible at the moment. It's a perfectly valid feature though.

Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

Appreciate the response. I'd love to see this feature get added though, I think it'd make the plans more robust in their capabilities.

I could seen when defining an artifact, it has a check-box that marks it as "temporary" and after the completion of the plan it would delete the shared artifacts - however that might cause problems with re-running failed jobs that depend on other previous jobs artifacts. Could be tricky to implement I imagine

For now I will just store the shared pieces and expire the plans as to help save space (should be ok for our situation)

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2016

The best place to post feature requests is jira.atlassian.com. 

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2016
Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2016

Done! Thanks for finding that!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events