cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Bamboo
  • Questions
  • Submodules handling requested but no native Git capability defined for agent. Please define native Git capability for agent to use submodules

Submodules handling requested but no native Git capability defined for agent. Please define native Git capability for agent to use submodules

rkhambhati September 21, 2016

We are using bamboo and bitbucket(with submodules) for continues build. When we checkout our repository in Bamboo it downloads the repositories but skipping submodules. Log is showing below message.

Submodules handling requested but no native Git capability defined for agent. Please define native Git capability for agent to use submodules.

Is not sure what I am missing here.

I also checked below two option under Plan Configuration -> Repositories -> "select repository"

• Use submodules
  • Fetch whole repository

1 answer

1 vote
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2016

In order for this to work, you need to:

1. Add native git (the git command line) to the agent that will run your plan
  2. Define a capability for this (system.git.executable) that points to the git executable ('/usr/bin/git')

HTH

-Rich

rkhambhati September 21, 2016

I am new to git and never done this in the past. Also I am on windows machine.

Will you be able to share some tutorial to do the same.

Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2016

Ok - are you running a local or remote agent?

Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2016

Assuming they're local:

1. Install git on the machine running Bamboo if it is not already there.
  2. Go to the agents page in bamboo
  3. Select the local agent(s)
  4. Go to the capabillity tab
  5. Add a capability
  6. Select the GIT capability
  7. in Path put the location of Git 

Brian Taylor September 21, 2016

This is Brian. Working in the same company with Ravi.

We are hosting Bitbucket(onpremise) and have installed Bamboo on a separate server. Based on your previous comment we installed git on Bamboo server.

We downloaded git from below link and git.exe is availabel at "C:\Program Files\Git\bin\git.exe"

https://git-for-windows.github.io/

After installing git it still gives same message

Submodules handling requested but no native Git capability defined for agent. Please define native Git capability for agent to use submodules.

Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2016

Hi Brian - you also need to define the capability in the local agent configuration page.  Select 'Git" from the dropdown and set the location to  C:\Program Files\Git\bin\git.exe. You need to define the capability for each local agent you have.  If you use remote agents, the same thing must be done by the procedure is different.

-Rich

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 3.29.10 PM.png

Thanks Rich. That worked and now it tries to download the submodules but does not progresses. to next statement.

This is what I am seeing in log and no progress after those lines

temp.png

Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2016

Hi Brian - you might check the bamboo log, otherwise, unless someone else has a better answer for you, I'd suggest http://support.atlassian.com/  - see if the nice folks in Atlassian support can help.

Thanks Rich.

The screen that I shared with my last comments is from log. Are you pointing out to see detailed log. If yes then please let me know the how to get detailed log?

Brian Taylor September 22, 2016

Rich,

So as I mentioned earlier build was stopped/paused while trying to checkout submodule. After waiting for 3 hours build was canceled and gave me below message. Hope this gives you more idea about the issue.

Task was canceled - 'CTP/(1)' of type com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.vcs:task.vcs.checkout.

I did some research on this error and some people suggested to check GIT path in capabilities and for me its correct(C:\Program Files\Git\bin\git.exe)

Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2016

Hi Brian - I don't think it would have gotten that far unless you have the capability configured correctly.  However, since I haven't run into the problem you're experiencing I'm not in a position to help you solve it.  I suggest contact the support folks.  In my experience, they're very responsive and should be able to help you get back on track.

-Rich

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events