Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stash repository structure for project with multiple applications

Michael Smith March 30, 2014

We're looking to migrate from SVN/Jenkins/Mantis to Stash/Bamboo/JIRA. We typically have 3-5 Java webapps in a project built using Maven, along with one or two .NET Windows apps also built with Maven, and the whole set is released together in a unified deployment.

Should we create a single Stash project with a single Git repo for each project, and a single Bamboo plan to build it all?

Or multiple repositories under a Stash project, one repo per webapp?

The automatic branching features in Stash, Bamboo and JIRA seem to be optimized for a single repo being the common case.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2014

I would say it boils down to answer to 2 simple questions: are webapps from single project often changed together? If you go with single repo per project would the size of it become a problem?

If the answer to first is 'yes' and second 'no' then I would go with single repository.

As you said, branching in Bamboo is optimized for single repository case. I also find it personally much more convienient if I don't have to look for components of single project in 5 different places ;-) But YMMV.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

Just to add to Marcin's comment.

This is an area that IMHO still has some room for improvement (you might be interested in this recent blog from a colleague of mine).

Marcin is right - generally tooling, including Stash/Maven/Bamboo/Everything work better with a single repository. The longer you can stick with that the most comfortable off you'll be. There are two places where this becomes a real problem (which is what Marcin is really talking about with 'size' above)

1. You need to 'share' a single repository/library/module/product with more than one repository. At this point you need to use Maven/Git-Submodule/Git-Subtree to 'depend' on the other repository.

2. Build speed - the maven build of a single repository becomes unwieldy/horrible and you want to improve performance.

Again, if you don't have either of those problems then having a single repository is almost always the easiest.

Cheers,

Charles

PS. FWIW I think this is solvable, but we need to ditch Maven first. :)

Michael Smith May 20, 2014

Thanks for the blog links - it was interesting reading.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events