Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single checkout of code for plan with multiple stages

Magnus Granander January 10, 2012

Hi!

I'm trying to setup a new plan that makes use of several stages. I would like to setup the following stages:

Check Out - Checks out source code and cleans previous builds

Compile - Compiles source code

Unit Test - Runs unit tests on compiled code from previous stage

Clean Up - Cleans up after build

The problem I experience is that each stage checks out the source code before running its jobs. Is it possible to have the source code just checked out once (Check Out-stage), compiled once (Compile-stage) and tested once (Unit Test-stage) ?

I've looked through the documentation, but can't seem to find a clear answer to this. I've found a Check Out-task that you should be able to add to jobs but can't seem to find it in the version we run, which is 3.2 build 2600.

Is it simply a question of upgrading?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2012

Hi.

It is possible, you just need to do all this in single Job using multple Tasks. Tasks are what you are really looking for: Tasks of a Job are executed in sequence and share common working directory.

Jobs & Stages in Bamboo are higher level concept: for example you can use multiple Jobs to parallelize your build process, but doing things in parallel means you need initialize resources (i.e. source code) for each Job separately. Stages let you organize Jobs into logical sequence, but again, at higher level than 'checkout-compile-test' cycle. Example is: in first stage you run compilation & tests then if this succeeds you build the installation bundle or deploy product to a server. (you can use artifacts, e.g. binaries, produced in earlier stages thanks to feature called Artifact Sharing)

What you need is (probably) single stage, containing single Job which contains multiple Tasks. It's hard to tell which Tasks exactly you'll need as I don't know your build environment, and depending on what build system you use you will need different Tasks (Maven, Ant, Script, Test result parser,...)

Note on the Checkout Task: this is available since 3.3. In Bamboo 3.2 and lower checkout is automatically done at the beginning of each Job. You can switch it off by changing source control system in Job to 'None'

As for upgrading: there are new, great features in each release, but in your case it is a choice not necessity :-)

Magnus Granander January 10, 2012

Thanks for the fast answer. I'll use one stage with four jobs (one for each module) containing multiple tasks then. This way I will get Bamboo to build the modules in parallell right?

Just to be sure, if I sometime in the future wants to deploy my built modules to a server I can use a stage to do this using shared artifacts?

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2012

>This way I will get Bamboo to build the modules in parallell right?

Yes, as long as there are build agents available, Jobs will be run in parallel.

And yes, Shared Artifacts + deployment stage is exactly what we designed Stages for :-). You might also want to look at Manual Stages for more control (Manual Stage is a stage that is only run when you manually trigger it)

ReneR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2012

I think 1 stage with 4 jobs is still too many. Jobs are bigger than the pieces you're trying to do. What are you using to drive your build? Ant? Make? Maven? The sequence of steps you're talking about "compile + unit tests" would traditionally be a single target or goal in your build tool.

$ mvn clean unit-test

$ ant clean unit-test

That's a single stage and a single Job. Multiple jobs are more for things like: Run all my unit tests, Run all my functional tests using Firefox browser, run all my functional tests using IE browser, generate Sonar or Checkstyle code analysis. All of those would be in one Stage but be multiple Jobs so they could execute in *parallel*. Once all those went green you could then pass artifacts to another stage that would do some other downstream thing like installing the artifact on a remote target environment.

Magnus Granander January 11, 2012

We use Ant for compiling and testing and a number of bash scripts for packaging and deployment. I want to be able to run things in parallel to speed things up. Right now we are only intrested in compiling and running unit tests. The setup you are talking about Rene is not far from what we already got, 4 jobs (one for each module) with only one Ant task that run a couple of targets. Splitting the Ant task into diffrent tasks looks more clear to me. You can easily get an idea of what is suppose to happen.

0 votes
Jörg Godau February 7, 2012

Hi, I've managed to find a way to do what you wanted to (as I wanted to do the same thing), you can see my workaround in the answer here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33651/stages-and-artifact-passing

Cheers

Jack...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events