Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since I updated to Bamboo 5.5 is receive MSB1008 error

Philip Steinebrunner May 11, 2014

I changed nothing on my build script/task, but replaced Bamboo 5.4 with Bamboo 5.5. Thats very anoying. Any suggestions?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/f11s62yy%28v=vs.90%29.aspx

The following command dont work within Bamboo, but in the Windows Command.

Beginning to execute external process for build 'xxx'
... running command line:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe /nologo /nr:False /p:Configuration=Debug /p:Platform="Any CPU" /verbosity:normal /p:DeployOnBuild=True /p:DeployTarget=Package /p:PackageLocation="D:\Atlassian\Application-Data\Bamboo\xml-data\build-dir\xxx\Deployment\MSDeployPackage.zip" /p:BuildNumber=119 /p:Version=0.9 "D:\Atlassian\Application-Data\Bamboo\xml-data\build-dir\xxx\Solution\xxx.sln"

Update:

Ok I found out that Bamboo now erases the quotes from the arguments. /p:Platform="Any CPU" needs to be quoted as its throwing the MSB1008 error if its not quoted!

9 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Krzysztof Najda May 11, 2014

I've faced same issue.

Workaround: remove double quotes and escape spaces with %20

Ex.: /p:Platform=Any%20CPU

1 vote
Rainer Wiesenfarth May 26, 2014

I found a workaround for us, kind of ugly but at least we get our builds done:

Prior to the MSBuild task we run a script that generates a msbuild.rsp file in the directory where the solution lies, include all options there and start the MSBuild task without any options.

0 votes
David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2015

Please note: this is NOT just for the Options field in a job - it also applies to the Project File field for a job running MSBuild. If the Project File contains a path which contain directory name(s) with spaces, the build will fail with the MSB1008. We had to do a major refactor of the locations of many MSBuild .targets files that our Bamboo system uses.

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2014

Please check this comment for a solution. In short:

Bamboo 5.6.0 provides workaround for the argument parsing problems in form of optional use of msbuild's response file. In order to activate this workaround one needs to set 
bamboo.plugin.dotnet.msbuild.useResponseFile system property to true on all agents (and on Bamboo server if you use local agents).

Swift Capital April 30, 2016

Doesn't work for non-MSBuild commands with the same issues, like MSDeploy.

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2014

We've published 5.6.0 version of the plugin. It should solve the problem you've described here. Please look at this comment for more details.

0 votes
Isaac Davidson May 28, 2014

This has had a major effect on us. All builds now break. I already was attempting to use %20 and for that reason stumbled upon this post.

%20 does not work for us. Towards the end of the build, a different error is produced:

error MSB4025: The project file could not be loaded. Could not find file "C:\...\Project.sln" (default target) (1) -> "C:\...\Project.csproj.metaproj" (default target) (33) -> C:\...\Project.csproj.metaproj : error MSB4025: The project file could not be loaded. Could not find file 'C:\...\Project.csproj.metaproj'.

I'll be temporarily switching over to a script to alleviate the situation. I'm not sure at this point if this has been brought to the attention of the Bamboo team and logged?

Swift Capital April 30, 2016

Doesn't work for non-MSBuild commands with the same issues, like MSDeploy.

0 votes
chris spencer May 26, 2014

I'm now receiving this error due to Bamboo OnDemand being upgraded to 5.5 over the weekend. All build plans broken. Workaround above (using %20) not working for me.

For now I will be removing /p:Platform="Any CPU" from command line just to get things working. I think MSBuild should default to whatever is specified in the solution.

0 votes
Rainer Wiesenfarth May 26, 2014

Does not work for us. If we use MSBuild Options:

/t:Rebuild /p:Configuration="UAS Release";Platform=x64;TrackFileAccess=false /m /clp:NoItemAndPropertyList;ErrorsOnly;ShowTimestamp

we get Error MSB1008. If we quote like suggested:

/t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=UAS%20Release;Platform=x64;TrackFileAccess=false /m /clp:NoItemAndPropertyList;ErrorsOnly;ShowTimestamp

we get a Bamboo internal error:

System Error Details

Build Inpho Software - UASMaster Trunk - Build software and package it 467 : Error occurred while running Task 'Build the software itself(2)' of type com.atlassian.bamboo.plugin.dotnet:msbuild.

(java.util.UnknownFormatConversionException : Conversion = 'R')

Occurred: 27 May 2014, 6:13:52 AM
Agent: DES-BUILDER.eu.trimblecorp.net

java.util.UnknownFormatConversionException: Conversion = 'R'
	at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.conversion(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.Formatter.parse(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.String.format(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskResultBuilder.checkReturnCode(TaskResultBuilder.java:155)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskResultBuilder.checkReturnCode(TaskResultBuilder.java:137)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugin.dotnet.msbuild.MsBuildTaskType.execute(MsBuildTaskType.java:99)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.executeTasks(TaskExecutorImpl.java:220)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.execute(TaskExecutorImpl.java:98)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.tasks.ExecuteBuildTask.call(ExecuteBuildTask.java:75)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent.build(DefaultBuildAgent.java:186)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.BuildAgentControllerImpl.waitAndPerformBuild(BuildAgentControllerImpl.java:102)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent$1.run(DefaultBuildAgent.java:108)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.utils.BambooRunnables$1.run(BambooRunnables.java:49)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper.runWith(ImpersonationHelper.java:31)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper.runWithSystemAuthority(ImpersonationHelper.java:20)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper$1.run(ImpersonationHelper.java:52)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
0 votes
Philip Steinebrunner May 11, 2014

Ok I found out that Bamboo now erases the quotes from the arguments. /p:Platform="Any CPU" needs to be quoted as its throwing the MSB1008 error if its not quoted!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events