Since I updated to Bamboo 5.5 is receive MSB1008 error

I changed nothing on my build script/task, but replaced Bamboo 5.4 with Bamboo 5.5. Thats very anoying. Any suggestions?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/f11s62yy%28v=vs.90%29.aspx

The following command dont work within Bamboo, but in the Windows Command.

Beginning to execute external process for build 'xxx'
... running command line:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\Bin\MSBuild.exe /nologo /nr:False /p:Configuration=Debug /p:Platform="Any CPU" /verbosity:normal /p:DeployOnBuild=True /p:DeployTarget=Package /p:PackageLocation="D:\Atlassian\Application-Data\Bamboo\xml-data\build-dir\xxx\Deployment\MSDeployPackage.zip" /p:BuildNumber=119 /p:Version=0.9 "D:\Atlassian\Application-Data\Bamboo\xml-data\build-dir\xxx\Solution\xxx.sln"

Update:

Ok I found out that Bamboo now erases the quotes from the arguments. /p:Platform="Any CPU" needs to be quoted as its throwing the MSB1008 error if its not quoted!

9 answers

1 accepted

I've faced same issue.

Workaround: remove double quotes and escape spaces with %20

Ex.: /p:Platform=Any%20CPU

I found a workaround for us, kind of ugly but at least we get our builds done:

Prior to the MSBuild task we run a script that generates a msbuild.rsp file in the directory where the solution lies, include all options there and start the MSBuild task without any options.

Ok I found out that Bamboo now erases the quotes from the arguments. /p:Platform="Any CPU" needs to be quoted as its throwing the MSB1008 error if its not quoted!

Does not work for us. If we use MSBuild Options:

/t:Rebuild /p:Configuration="UAS Release";Platform=x64;TrackFileAccess=false /m /clp:NoItemAndPropertyList;ErrorsOnly;ShowTimestamp

we get Error MSB1008. If we quote like suggested:

/t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=UAS%20Release;Platform=x64;TrackFileAccess=false /m /clp:NoItemAndPropertyList;ErrorsOnly;ShowTimestamp

we get a Bamboo internal error:

System Error Details

Build Inpho Software - UASMaster Trunk - Build software and package it 467 : Error occurred while running Task 'Build the software itself(2)' of type com.atlassian.bamboo.plugin.dotnet:msbuild.

(java.util.UnknownFormatConversionException : Conversion = 'R')

Occurred: 27 May 2014, 6:13:52 AM
Agent: DES-BUILDER.eu.trimblecorp.net

java.util.UnknownFormatConversionException: Conversion = 'R'
	at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.conversion(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.Formatter$FormatSpecifier.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.Formatter.parse(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.Formatter.format(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.String.format(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskResultBuilder.checkReturnCode(TaskResultBuilder.java:155)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskResultBuilder.checkReturnCode(TaskResultBuilder.java:137)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugin.dotnet.msbuild.MsBuildTaskType.execute(MsBuildTaskType.java:99)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.executeTasks(TaskExecutorImpl.java:220)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.execute(TaskExecutorImpl.java:98)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.tasks.ExecuteBuildTask.call(ExecuteBuildTask.java:75)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent.build(DefaultBuildAgent.java:186)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.BuildAgentControllerImpl.waitAndPerformBuild(BuildAgentControllerImpl.java:102)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent$1.run(DefaultBuildAgent.java:108)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.utils.BambooRunnables$1.run(BambooRunnables.java:49)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper.runWith(ImpersonationHelper.java:31)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper.runWithSystemAuthority(ImpersonationHelper.java:20)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.security.ImpersonationHelper$1.run(ImpersonationHelper.java:52)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I'm now receiving this error due to Bamboo OnDemand being upgraded to 5.5 over the weekend. All build plans broken. Workaround above (using %20) not working for me.

For now I will be removing /p:Platform="Any CPU" from command line just to get things working. I think MSBuild should default to whatever is specified in the solution.

This has had a major effect on us. All builds now break. I already was attempting to use %20 and for that reason stumbled upon this post.

%20 does not work for us. Towards the end of the build, a different error is produced:

error MSB4025: The project file could not be loaded. Could not find file "C:\...\Project.sln" (default target) (1) -> "C:\...\Project.csproj.metaproj" (default target) (33) -> C:\...\Project.csproj.metaproj : error MSB4025: The project file could not be loaded. Could not find file 'C:\...\Project.csproj.metaproj'.

I'll be temporarily switching over to a script to alleviate the situation. I'm not sure at this point if this has been brought to the attention of the Bamboo team and logged?

Doesn't work for non-MSBuild commands with the same issues, like MSDeploy.

0 vote

We've published 5.6.0 version of the plugin. It should solve the problem you've described here. Please look at this comment for more details.

0 vote

Please check this comment for a solution. In short:

Bamboo 5.6.0 provides workaround for the argument parsing problems in form of optional use of msbuild's response file. In order to activate this workaround one needs to set 
bamboo.plugin.dotnet.msbuild.useResponseFile system property to true on all agents (and on Bamboo server if you use local agents).

Doesn't work for non-MSBuild commands with the same issues, like MSDeploy.

Please note: this is NOT just for the Options field in a job - it also applies to the Project File field for a job running MSBuild. If the Project File contains a path which contain directory name(s) with spaces, the build will fail with the MSB1008. We had to do a major refactor of the locations of many MSBuild .targets files that our Bamboo system uses.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,801 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you