Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show compilation errors from MSBuild how ?

JIRA Autobot April 14, 2013

Hi,

I use CruiseControl today to call a build script that build all my projects and then CruiseControl parses that and shows which project or where there is a compilation error when such one occurs. How do i accomplish the same with Bamboo ?

donnib

2 answers

0 votes
JIRA Autobot April 19, 2013

Hi Piotr,

thanks for taking the time to reply. I did indeed look in the marketplace and was suprissed nobody made such a plugin.

I never wrote a plugin but can program, the only thing is i don't want to reinvent the wheel again so if i had to do it myself i would need to have a library of how to understand errors/warning from Visual Studio and i am not sure how one could show it on Bamboo but i guess your example might show that.

It's obvious that i would like something working out of the box since i have that already in Jenkins and CruiseControl.NET.

At the moment i am trying to write a task for each project (just to see behaviour of Bamboo) i am building but it's a tedious job since i have 100+ tasks i need to create (all msbuild) and Bamboo does not offer Clone or Duplicate, not even a shortcut to create a Task quicker so it's 'really time consuming to do as you can imagine.

donnib

PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2013

Uh, 100+ tasks you say? Yes, I can imagine the pain :(.

I think I won't be able to help you further - my practical Bamboo knowledge ends here.

regards!

0 votes
JIRA Autobot April 15, 2013

ok, off twitter i got some answers : https://twitter.com/mihaicph/status/324041318634487809

Conclusions :

- I can't do what i want.

- I should split the my build script and make a job for each of those (not a good solution for me)

What i wish Bamboo has was something like this : https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Log+Parser+Plugin

for now i am leaning towards dropping Bamboo (i was rather exited about it) because without this it's going to be a step back from Cruise Control .NET.

PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

Hi donnib,

I was wondering if you had checked the marketplace (https://marketplace.atlassian.com) - I wouldn't be highly suprised if there was already some plugin for Bamboo which scans the build logs and do something with them. On the other hand there might be none of such plugin. Anyway, I've wanted to point you out such option, as I'm not sure if you had already explored it.

On the other hand I'm wondering how do you find writing plugins? Because if you're familiar with java I think you could consider writing up a personal plugin that would parse your build logs and display what you want when a complitaion error (or similar) occurs. I vaguely remember, that there was even a bamboo tutorial for a plugin doing some parsing of the bamboo build logs... here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO026/Tutorial+1+-+Getting+Started+with+a+Simple+Post+Build+Labeller - note however it is for an oooold Bamboo version (2.6). But the point is that technically it is possible to write up an in-house plugin for Bamboo that would parse the output (and do something with it, like label the build, or display some info on the additional web-panel).

In any way I don't want to persuade you to follow these solutions (I don't know you nor your needs, but I guess you'd prefer to have a working out-of-the-box product, than to hack the product by yourself), but I thought you might be interested. Just in case. :)

regards,
Piotr Stefaniak
Bamboo developer

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events