Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup script vs custom image

Don McIntosh March 3, 2016

I want to set up a CI environment for a python project. The bamboo Amazon image does have python (although you have to configure it as a command) but it doesn't have all the extra python modules that a need installed. If I add these modules using a setup script, does that mean that every time an image is restarted (which as I understand it will happen if no build has been executed in the last ten mins or so), this script will need to be rerun? It's going to take a bit of time to download and install all the modules, so if that is the case, I'd rather set up a custom image.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2016

Yes, they will be redownloaded on each restart. Instead of creating a custom image, consider providing an EBS with the data you need.

Don McIntosh March 6, 2016

Thanks for the tip. I did that on the weekend and am almost there. In general, that approach works well and sounds preferable to creating a custom image given it means we can continue to work with an Atlassian supported image. I created a virtual python environment on an EBS and it's easy enough to add packages to it and update the EBS when we need to. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events