Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Release Variables in Bamboo deployment plan

Marcin Cylke January 18, 2016

I'd like to pass application version to deployment plan for clearer deploy naming.

Is it possible to set a variable in Bamboo build plan and have it available in Release Variables in my Deployment Plan? I've figured I need to have my variable visible in "Metadata" for the build.

I've tried "Inject bamboo variables" step, but this does not result in variables appearing in "Metadata" tab.

4 answers

1 vote
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2016

If you set the scope of the variables in Inject Task to 'result' they should work in deployments as well (even if they don't show up on Metadata tab, I can't remember if they do for that matter so don't worry about that. 

That works since Bamboo 5.8 IIRC.

Marcin Cylke January 25, 2016

I've been down that road before. Today I've tried this again. 

The result visible in logs is:

Starting task 'inject variables to build process' of type 'com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.bamboo-variable-inject-plugin:inject'
Injected variable bamboo.inject.version=1.25.1-SNAPSHOT in RESULT scope

But the variable is not injected into the end results. So the proposed solution does not work. At least for me. Perhaps some other debugging could help?

My Bamboo version is  Atlassian Bamboo version 5.9.7 build 5920 

0 votes
Jon Stalnaker September 26, 2018

Were you ever able to get this resolved?  I'm trying to do the same thing.

**Disregard, I just had my variable named incorrectly.  Result scope worked as expected

0 votes
Andy Kuszyk May 25, 2016

I'm encountering the same issue in Bamboo 5.11.3.

I've set-up the inject task to set values in the "results" scope, and in the build log I can see that the task has set the correct value to the correct variable. However, in the metadata tab (and in downstream deployment project) the value remains unchanged.

Could this be a bug in the inject task?

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2016

Have you reviewed this page for how to name your bamboo releases? https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/naming-versions-for-deployment-releases-361726798.html

Marcin Cylke January 18, 2016

Yes I have, before asking the question. 

There is an example of variable planvar with value 'm6'. But there is no info on how to set the value of 'planvar' variable from some build step. I want that variable to be dynamic (calculated by one of the steps), not statically defined in Plan Configuration.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events