Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server won't restart after crashing due to a lock file issue

Dan DiCara October 26, 2011

I noticed that our Bamboo server was down. When I went to restart it, the bamboo.log contained the following line repeatedly:

2011-10-27 08:00:28,120 INFO main MessageDatabase Database /xchip/cga2/bamboo/bamboo-home/jms-store/bamboo/KahaDB/lock is locked... waiting 10 seconds for the database to be unlocked. Reason: java.io.IOException: File '/xchip/cga2/bamboo/bamboo-home/jms-store/bamboo/KahaDB/lock' could not be locked.

Is this an issue with my database, or with Bamboo itself? Can I just delete the lock file and then restart?

6 answers

8 votes
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

You can shut down your Bamboo, make sure that there are no other Bamboo instances running (ps -ax | grep bamboo), delete 'BambooHome/jms-store' directory and start your Bamboo instance.

Armen

fleeber December 5, 2014

I didn't need to delete bambooHome/jms-store. With (ps -ax | grep bamboo), i see many instances running. i've killed all the process, and bamboo starts normally. Thanks, Armen.

Jason Britton April 6, 2016

worked for me as well.  Thanks Armen.

1 vote
Maxfield B May 29, 2015

This also happened to me. Extra Bamboos running somehow.

1 vote
Jason Smith September 22, 2014

For me I just had extra Bamboos running somehow. Compared to JIRA and Confluence they really haven't spent much time making Bamboo a simple administrative experience. :/ Lots of manual stuff going on.

Martin Faust May 28, 2015

Its absolutely terrible, no installer, no automatic install as service ...

John Webber October 30, 2015

Also had this. I agree with the terrible administrative experience.

1 vote
ReneR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2012

KahaDB is a persistence component that's part of Apache ActiveMQ. Bamboo uses ActiveMQ for inter-process communication. So no, it's not part of your Build Plan data.

If this lockfile is being found that means that there's probably already an instance of JMS (Java Message Service) running. Do you have two instances of Bamboo accidentally running? Did you stop Bamboo and restart it and perhaps didn't not shutdown cleanly?

You should definitely contact support.atlassian.com and provide them your server logs for this kind of situation. If you do have two Bamboo instances running or orphaned java processes they'll want to know about it and can help you to resolve it.

0 votes
CD November 4, 2016

I managed to cause this problem by adding a <context> to the wrong place in service.xml. I was trying to add GMail support to Bamboo, but struggled with the doc for that, which caused this problem.

0 votes
Vijit Jain August 19, 2015

I have the same problem. There are no extra instances running, and deleting the JMS-Store directory does not help either.

and using all the methods documented in this thread, I still cannot start my bamboo instance.

Advice?

*Update*

Works now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events