Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking recommendation for reducing nightly Bamboo backup downtime

Maggie Stearns February 18, 2015

Hello:

We use the Bamboo nightly backup routine. It runs for several hours and adversely impacts users from other timezones.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to reduce the downtime? Is there anything we can cleanup on the disk or possibly write our own backup script to capture a smaller set of items?

-Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2015

If you're willing to make your DB available for analysis then please contact our support, make sure you attach Bamboo logs that will cover backup activity. If your DB dump is exceeding allowed attachment size, Support team will instruct you to upload it to our file service.

0 votes
Pawel Skierczynski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2015

I'd try making db backup from db (depending what db it is). And backup home directory from os. I think it will be blazing fast in comparison - you will be surprised. Even better if you could afford to turn off Bamboo for that moment.

Backups from Bamboo are getting better but still have some room for improvement...

Matt Shelton February 19, 2015

The problem with this is that we'd need to ensure no builds are running when it is shut down. Only bamboo can tell us that.

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2015

i usually ignore artifacts under two conditions:
1) i can rebuild anything from git

2) i have extra deployment shares which are backed up

Matt Shelton February 19, 2015

Ignoring artifacts in the backup still ends us up with a backup nearing 2 hours.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events