Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Ruby on Rails Tests in Bamboo

Sam Hamilton December 6, 2012

Do you have any setup instructions on how to run Ruby on Rails tests in Bamboo?

6 answers

0 votes
Malik
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2013
0 votes
Frances Morales July 2, 2013

Is there anything more recent? This stuff is all seems to be out of date now. The interface seems to have changed since these where written.

Colin Mattson July 20, 2013

I'm currently evaluating self-hosted Bamboo for use with Ruby and Rails, so I'll throw my $0.02 in.

If the existing Ruby Bamboo plugin meets your needs, it'll get the job done with a few quirks (like requiring you specify a rake task, and having some heinously ugly calls in the run logs). The real trick is getting useful feedback after a run beyond just pass/fail. You'll need to either find a Bamboo-compatible formatter for your preferred test library, or you'll need to implement a new test parser.

RSpec and MiniTest can be configured using plugins to output in JUnit format, which Bamboo speaks natively. (Not exactly surprising given Atlassian is a Java shop. ;) If you're using Cucumber, Cucumber reports for Bamboo is available for install from the Bamboo admin panel.

If you're not using one of those three common testing libraries, you'd have to do some digging around to see if whatever you're using can generate JUnit-style output. If not, you'd either need to implement JUnit output yourself—probably the easiest option since you can do it with the language and toolchain you're familiar with—or implement a Bamboo parser (which, if you're not already conversant in Java, would be... less than fun).

I have zero experience with the hosted offering, so no idea what the current status is there.

0 votes
Matthew Brown December 27, 2012

Thanks, anyway. I know there are a couple other solutions out there for this, focused more on Rails. I will take a look around.

0 votes
Matthew Brown December 26, 2012

So, if I understand you correctly, the proper way to resolve this today would be to switch over to a self-hosted environment? How significant is such a move?

Any chance you guys will add Rails support as a first-class citizen for Bamboo soon?

twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

I'm afraid it's farily significant. Self hosted means that you'd have to purchase an appropriate license (the hosted license != install license and isn't tradable into one).

You'd have to provide your own hardware and systems administration resources into implementing Bamboo behind the firewall. If you'd like to do that, I can get you in touch with a sales team member who can assist with questions and such.

As far as Bamboo / Rails future... I can't say (mostly because I don't know). I'm actually a Confluence/JIRA supporter. Just based on personal experience, if the rake plugin does a good job of implementing the Rails support, I would think not likely in the foreseeable future, but that's just guessing and hearsay.

I'll plead ignorance. Sorry! ^_^

0 votes
Matthew Brown December 20, 2012

I looked into this, but I was disappointed to find that I cannot add plug-ins to Atlassian OnDemand, even if it's something they recommend. Note the following from the AOD Getting Started Guide:

(warning) Restriction: You cannot install new add-ons nor remove existing add-ons as per the Atlassian OnDemand Plugin Policy.

twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2012

Ack. You're right. I didn't know you were referring to an OND instance. You're absolutely right... we're a bit limited in what you can install: Custom plugins can bogart a huge amount of resources on our hosting platform so we made the decision to disallow anything that we haven't vetted throughly so we can ensure that the platform is as stable as possible.

Sorry about that.

Tim

0 votes
twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2012

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events