Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict access to creating PROD deployment jobs

Lars November 18, 2019

We have two types of environments : PROD and NONPROD. We have many, many applications.  (> 50)

The concept of environment type goes across applications in our organisation, i.e. each application (which equates to a Deployment Plan in Bamboo) will have at least two environments, e.g. for AppA there will be environments "AppA-PROD" and "AppA-NONPROD".

There are many people to whom we would like to grant access in Bamboo to create deployment jobs that end in a NONPROD-type environment. There are only a few who should be able to do the same for PROD-type environments.

How can this be accomplished?

I know that we can set permissions on an environment for a given plan once it has been setup, but that doesn't accomplish our goal of allowing people to set up their own deployments into NONPROD.

A few ideas

• We can possibly have Bamboo Agents that are permissioned to deploy into PROD and others that are not. Then we can have "Deploy-To-Prod" as a capability. However this only moves the problem: Is there a way to restrict access to capabilities in Bamboo?  (i.e. only certain users are allowed to create jobs which use a certain capability)
  • We can - and will indeed - have two sets of Bamboo shared credentials, one for PROD and another for PREPROD. But this then begs the question how we restrict access to using those credentials in jobs ?
  • ?

Please advice.

1 answer

0 votes
Lars November 19, 2019

I'll answer my own question. 

It seems Agent Dedication  is the way to go. 

Lars November 19, 2019

Ooops. That won't work.

An agent can be dedicated on two ways:

1. By the Bamboo global admin: From the Global Settings - by dedicating the agent (or the image if using the Elastic Bamboo feature) to one more more existing deployments environments.
  2. By the person who creates/edit a deployment environment: This can have a dedicated agent. This will have the same effect as (1).

So if we have an agent with super-privileges then in fact any user (with permission to create/edit any type of deployment job) can do (2) and thereby circumvent (1). Therefore, Agent Dedication is not a way to restrict user's access to that agent.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events