Pushing repository to remote after a successful build

I have a bamboo plan set up to pull from a bitbucket repository. It builds every time a push is made to the repo. If and only if the plan successfully completes, I want to push the changes (the ones I originally pushed to bitbucket which triggered the plan) to a remote git server.

So far I did the following:

• The first stage pulls the repo, and shares the '.git' directory as an artifact
  • A few stages build and test the repository
  • The last stage has the '.git' repository as an artifact dependency. I use a script to add the remote repo and then push to it.

If I set the 'Source Code Checkout' task to 'Force Clean Build' this works and every commit I make is built on the server, then pushed to the remote repository. This is what I want.

However if I don't force a clean build, the first build's push is sent to the remote, but consequent builds are not. If I navigate to the Job's directory (for me /var/atlassian/application-data/bamboo/xml-data/build-dir/<JOB_NAME>) and run 'git status' I get: "HEAD detached at 0631325" - showing the short version of the hash of the latest commit.

I'm not familiar enough with git to understand exactly how to deal with this in an efficient manner. I know pulling the repo again completely to another location would technically work, but I feel that that is unnecessary since to build the plan the repo was pulled already. The files are already there.

Is there a recommended way that I could push the changes from this headless repo to a remote repo, instead of pushing from the outdated origin branch?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

I ended up resolving this issue by explicitly pushing from the head:

git push backup HEAD:master
git push backup HEAD:master --tags

where 'backup' is a remote set via https:

git remote add backup https://USER:PASSWORD@URL/TO/REPO.git

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Organizing your space just got easier - Page Tree Drag & Drop is here

Hi Community! I’m Elaine, Confluence Product Manager. You may have read my earlier post about page tree in space navigation sidebar. I'm excited to share another improvement that helps you organize ...

98 views 3 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you