Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projects with many subprojects

TriCore June 30, 2016

I am working on a project which has many sub projects (about 1000). Every sub-project is basically a java package in the main project. Every sub-project should create a separate jar because they must be versioned differently. Here is the structure

main-project

src/main/java/

com/bla/bla/subProject1

com/bla/bla/subProject2

com/bla/bla/subProject3

com/bla/bla/subProject4

com/bla/bla/subProject5

Creating one job/task for every project cannot be created manually (at least I am not doing it). How should I setup a job plan to setup continuous integration on all the sub projects? What ya guys think?

1 answer

0 votes
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2016

Assuming you're using Maven or Gradle to script the build and deal with dependencies - the project struture could be accomodated although you might want to refactor the code to conform to the standard structure to save some configuraiton.

There are a number of advantages to a single build with modules/subprojects:

1. A single biuld plan versus 1k plans
  2. Space savings (only one workspace versus 1k workspaces)
  3. Better handling of inter subproject dependencies

The single con is the time it might take to run through all of the modules/subprojects.  In addition to the build avoidance baked in to Maven and Gradle, you might want to looking to parallelizing the build - a feature available in both tools.

Hope this Helps!

-Rich

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events